Girls Soccer Playoffs: Bishop Amat beats Diamond Bar 4-3 in sudden death; San Dimas, Arroyo advance, Sierra Vista, Chino Hills go down

Bishop Amat, Diamond Bar photo gallery

Sudden death is a cruel way to end while sweet for the team that’s piling on top of each other in celebration, but regardless of which side you were cheering for Diamond Bar and Bishop Amat lived up to all the hype.
The only words freshman Alexa Ruiz could sputter out was “it was exciting” following Bishop Amat’s dramatic 4-3 victory over Diamond Bar that ended on Ruiz’s double-overtime golden goal in Thursday’s CIF-Southern Section Division 3 girls soccer quarterfinal.
Exciting it was, and with some controversy on the game-winner that sent fourth-seed Amat (17-4-5) to Tuesday’s semifinals, where it will face Yorba Linda in hopes of advancing to its third straight title game.
After Diamond Bar goalkeeper Tyler Hunt made an incredible save off a header in the first overtime to keep the Brahmas in it, Amat’s Lena Suehrstedt sent a long throw-in late in the second overtime that got poked away straight to Amat’s Yazmin Montoya.
Montoya tried to hurry a shot that she shanked toward the back post where Ruiz was standing for an easy re-direct and finish while Diamond Bar coaches were screaming for an offside with just four minutes left before the game would be decided on penalty kicks. (To continue click thread)

San Dimas 1, Katella 0: The San Dimas High girls soccer team put pressure on Katella from the opening whistle and defeated the Knights 1-0 on Thursday to advance to the CIF-Southern Section Division 6 semifinals for the third consecutive year.
Oxnard 2, Sierra Vist 1, OT: For the third consecutive year, Sierra Vista was ousted in the quarterfinals of the CIF-Southern Section Division 6 playoffs. The Dons fell to visiting Oxnard, 2-1, in overtime on a golden goal by forward Melissa Aldrete in the 82nd minute.
Great Oak 3, Chino Hills 2: Temecula Great Oak jumped out to a two-goal lead and hung on for a 3-2 victory over Chino Hills in the quarterfinals of the CIF-Southern Section Division 2 girls soccer playoffs Thursday night.

Girls Socer Playoffs Results
Today’s Quarterfinals
Division 2

Great Oak 3, Chino Hills 2
Division 3
Bishop Amat 4, Diamond Bar 3, 20T
Division 6
San Dimas 1, Katella 0
Oxnard 2, Sierra Vista 1, OT
Division 7
Arroyo 3, Crossroads 1

Tuesday’s semfinals
Division 3

Bishop Amat at Yorba Linda, 5 p.m.
Division 6
Citrus Valley at San Dimas, 5 p.m.
Division 7
University Prep at Arroyo, 5 p.m.
Marshall at Gabrielino, 5 p.m.

Inland Insider Tom Kiss’ video and interviews from Chino Hills’ heartbreaking 3-2 loss at Great Oak

That was how it ended for Diamond Bar (19-4-3), which battled back from a 2-0 deficit in the first 10 minutes to tie the game at half, and after trailing 3-2, tied the score again in the final 10 minutes to send it to overtime.
“The final sequence was tough to see,” Diamond Bar coach Matt Brummett said. “Was it offside? Maybe, maybe not. But Amat deserved it as much as we might have deserved it.
“It was a back and forth game. Hats off to them for battling and hats to our girls for battling back. It could have gone either way. In overtime there were chances for both sides but Amat deserved to win because they scored the last goal.”
It looked like Amat would run away with it early.
Montoya’s shot in the second minute ricocheted off a Brahmas’ defender for an own goal and Cassandra Reyes buried a left-footed free kick in the seventh minute to give the Lancers a 2-0 lead.
But Diamond Bar’s Helena Kisor floated a 25-yard shot that dipped in for a score in the 34th minute, and Tatum Lockett buried her 35th goal of the season on a beautiful free kick in the 39th minute that tied the score, 2-2.
Amat took the lead back in the second half.
Kelly Velasquez’s long free kick was headed home by Kathleen Zamora in the 59th minute.
“Once I saw the ball in the air, I knew that it was mine,” Zamora said.
But the Brahmas came back again on Marissa Favela’s 77th minute goal to make it 3-3, sending the game to overtime.
For Amat coach Ruben Gonzalez, whose team blew a 2-0 lead before beating Righetti 4-3 in the second-round, he’s just glad they were able to celebrate in the end.
“I’m going to lose the rest of my hair after games like this,” Gonzalez said. “Just the resilience and Amat pride. They (players) come to Amat and feel that pride and fight to the end. Whether we win or lose we’re going to leave it all on the field.”
Certainly both teams deserved to feel that way.
“A lot of teams would have ducked out and lost that game 6-0 after going down 2-0 in the first ten minutes,” Brummett said. “We fought back and battled and as a coach I couldn’t be more proud, especially against a team that has as much tradition as Bishop Amat.”

• Soccer Fan

So many good games tonight! Still debating where to go tonight. The DB vs BA game should live up to all the hype! I also like the SV vs Oxnard game. Decisions, Decisions! Well here are my picks..CH over Great Oak..BA over DB in PKs..Katella over SD great run!..SV over Oxnard..Crossroads over Arroyo

• in the stands

Love when you go against SD. That means they should win.

• Soccer Fan

What game will you be covering Fred?

• http://twitter.com/SGVNSports Fred J. Robledo

I’m at Diamond Bar-Amat, best local game in the area, but we have reporters for San Dimas, Sierra Vista, Chino Hills and Los Altos boys soccer, so we’re out in full force

• Soccer Fan

DB vs BA will be the game to be at. Lets hope our SGV teams make it to the semis!

• Wells

Diamond Bar over BA. They play great team soccer.
    Sierra Vista over Katella.

• Soccer Fan

The more I think about it the more im leaning towards DB I just dont see anyone from BA that can stop Lockett. Dont get me wrong BA is good but soccer is a game of opportunities and DB will definitely have more chances to score with Lockett on their side.

• Soccer Fan

WHAT A GAME BETWEEN BA AND DB!!! DB played a great game. BA is off to the semis.

• Brahma Mamma.

BISHOP AMAT = Best Team Recruiting Can Buy!

It’s too bad all teams can’t openly recruit the way Amat does. Can you imagine a team recruited from the Diamond Bar area? The best from D Bar, Walnut, D Ranch, etc! Wooooooo! I can only imagine. Too bad the playing field isn’t level!

And Fred, don’t even start with that “people want to play for winners” crap! Are you honestly going to tell me that Gonzalez doesn’t blatantly recruit? Don’t be foolish! I know for a fact that he attends club tournaments under the guise of recruiting for his community college. Funny how he pays little to no attention to the Seniors and spends most of his time with the young girls, some of which end up playing for him the next year.

Look at his team this year. Why did they struggle early on? Because three or four of his best players had to sit out for 30 days due to illegitimate transfers! They attended other schools last year like La Serna, Los Altos, etc. And what a craaaaazy coincidence that they just happen to play the exact position of Amat’s seniors who graduated last year (keeper, forward, defense). Fred, are you going to claim that’s just a crazy coincidence??? Come on man! It’s a joke!

And I won’t even begrudge Amat and Gonzalez the right to recruit. Hey, if that’s the game these days I’m fine with it. But they shouldn’t be playing public schools who can’t compete in that realm. Look at the DIII semi’s. Three of the four schools are private!!! (Oaks Christian, Bishop Amat, Pasadena Poly).

Amat was clearly the better team last night. I’m not arguing that. I’m just questioning how that team was put together and whether that’s fair. I think it’s a legitimate question…one that you, Fred, continue to avoid. Put up a blog thread and lets have an open discussion about the issue. And not just in football…in ALL sports!

• SGVsupporter

Unfortunately Fred will never admit to Amat recruiting soccer talent. I
      agree that players want to go to a school that wins and Gonzalez is a
      great coach who knows how to put this talent together and get the best
      out of them. When his ex players admit that he is sneaky with his
      recruiting and they happen to get transfers in that play the same
      positions that he lost the previous years makes you wonder how good they
      would be if he only had the talent that Amat has had in the past before
      he got there. Yes there has been some good players go through there but
      it wasn’t a top pick for soccer in the past so it makes you wonder.
      Early in the season Amat struggled because they couldnt play their
      transfers so that shows more or less what other teams in the area have
      to go through because they dont get transfers like that every year.

Regardless
      of that fact both teams played a great game and Diamond Bar showed a
      lot of heart to battle back after being down 2-0. Congrats to both area
      teams for making it this far and wish all the luck to Amat. Nothing is
      going to change about how they get their players so all we can do is
      support our valley teams as they compete against other areas now.

First of all, I’ve never avoided any question, if you’ve followed this blog or my tweets, you know that. Private schools have an advantage that public schools don’t, that the difference. Amat’s winning, Amat’s getting transfers and yes, Gonzalez is a coach who knows the club community and is a state title winning coach at Cerritos, that’s attractive for players and their parents, simple as that. And since private schoools have no boudaries, if you want your kid to go there and can afford, it’s not that hard to make it happen. And CIF made things easier by allowing players to transfer and only sit out 30 days, which was the case this year with Amat getting the players in the middle of the season. But that’s the norm in high school soccer and all sports, there are public and private schools littered with coaches who also coach club and find ways to get players to their schools. Even Diamond Bar’s not immune to it, look what’s happening in football, one of West Covina’s best players, Antonio Hull, just transferred there, and another West Covina player is rumored to be on the way. Diamond Bar football will benefit from transfers next season, it is what it is. In terms of if there is “illegal” recruiting going on, if schools get caught, I report it, but I can’t possibly be out there investigating everything that goes on in every sport, I barely have enough time to cover the teams and games as it is. And I wouldn’t say Amat was “clearly” the better team, I thought Diamond Bar was just as good and it could have gone either way.

• http://twitter.com/cbnboy34 patrick tyrone

Did you just say there was gonna be more transfers to DB next yr???

• AMAT 73

And what do you call what is going on with your football team ???? Do you think those players just waltzed over to DB because of the greatness of your football program . If you make the playoffs next season in football will your attitude on transfers and recruiting change ???? Or is this jusr another case of sour grapes toward AMAT .

and HOW many athletes has DB recruited vs Amat????

• AMAT 73

And your point is ??? Recruiting is recruiting , be it one or more you are still doing it . The lure of playing for a top notch coach and program is a recruiting tool of its own plain and simple . Plus like Fred says , winning helps , which by the way is not a load of crap , but the way of high school sports today in the eyes of many parents who want to give their children the best shot at a free ride for college . Factor that in and maybe you’ll see why some of those parents chose AMAT as the program they wish their children to play for .

• Pele10

Its called WINNING, not Whining.

Bishop Amat has been to the semi-finals the last 4 years and to the finals 2 years, winning one title and advancing to the finals of State last year.
      Its called WINNING, not Whining.

Coach Gonzalez has won the State title on 2 separate occasions with his college team, most recently this year.
      Its called WINNING, not Whining.

Coach Gonzalez received the National Coach of the year for Community College this year.
      Its called WINNING, not Whining.

Good Players follow good coaches, whether it be Club or High School. Good players like to win and good coaches know how to win.
      Its called WINNING, not Whining.

In a recent article in the SGV, The Diamond Bar Coach stated that his
      girls were looking ahead to a showdown with Amat. You got what you
      wanted.
      Its called WINNING, not Whining.

Somehow, after all the accolades Diamond Bar received throughout the season, public schools can’t compete with private schools.
      Its called WINNING, not Whining.

The Diamond Bar Trainer tweeted that Amat would not be able to score on their defense. We scored 4.
      Its called WINNING, not Whining.

Per CIF policy, no Coach can recruit, however CIF changed their rules to allow girls to transfer with a 30 day wait period. These same rules
      apply to Diamond Bar-no uneven playing field in the rules.
      Its called WINNING, not Whining.

If struggling early in the season means playing three Division 1 schools
      to 2 ties and a loss, when these Div. 1 schools were at one time rated
      #1 and spent the entire season in the top ten, then well take the
      struggle as preparation for the end of the season, when it really
      matters. Good preparation by a smart Coach.
      Its called WINNING, not Whining.

When your team fouled our leading scorer every time she touched the ball and the ref called a Pk and then changed his mind, she never once
      complained or retaliated, she just got up and kept playing. That’s
      because Amat builds winners, not whiners.

So its easy to see why girls come to Amat, because it takes all components to build a winning tradition. ( academics, girls, coach, staff, and alumni,).

We may win, we may lose, but we will not whine.

Its called WINNING, not Whining.

First of all, I’ve never avoided any question, if you’ve followed this
    blog or my tweets, you know that. Private schools have an advantage that
    public schools don’t, that the difference. Amat’s winning, Amat’s
    getting transfers and yes, Gonzalez is a coach who knows the club
    community and is a state title winning coach at Cerritos, that’s
    attractive for players and their parents, simple as that. And since
    private schools have no boudaries, if you want your kid to go there and
    can afford, it’s not that hard to make it happen. And CIF made things
    easier by allowing players to transfer and only sit out 30 days, which
    was the case this year with Amat getting the players in the middle of
    the season. But that’s the norm in high school soccer and all sports,
    there are public and private schools littered with coaches who also
    coach club and find ways to get players to their schools. Even Diamond
    Bar’s not immune to it, look what’s happening in football, one of West
    Covina’s best players, Antonio Hull, just transferred there, and another
    West Covina player is rumored to be on the way. Diamond Bar football
    will benefit from transfers next season, it is what it is. In terms of
    if there is “illegal” recruiting going on, if schools get caught, I
    report it, but I can’t possibly be out there investigating everything
    that goes on in every sport, I barely have enough time to cover the
    teams and games as it is. And I wouldn’t say Amat was “clearly” the
    better team, I thought Diamond Bar was just as good and it could have
    gone either way.

• brahma baby

Brahma mama I don’t hear you complaining about the football players you are recruiting. Lose with class no one likes or respects a whinner.

• brahma baby

Brahma mama is a typical delusional soccer mom who dosent realize the rules or realize that her school does the same thing. Let me explain it to you slowly so you could understand. Everyone one recruits !

• brahma baby

Mc501 you are the voice of reason. Great post.

• Pingback: Homepage

• Pingback: car accident lawyers atlanta

• Pingback: Used Auto Parts Grand Rapids Mi

• Pingback: oven repairs

• Pingback: small caps investing

• Pingback: 18th birthday party ideas

• Pingback: money

• Pingback: hotel and disney ticket packages

• Pingback: Check out this video about ISO9001

• Pingback: Jackets custom embroidered in the USA

• Pingback: uav's, drones

• Pingback: Dating Chat

• Pingback: Van hall tapes the original phone humor

• Pingback: Leecraft Law austin family lawyer

• Pingback: Pensacola FL

• Pingback: phentermine