Top Ten Story: Last season was a magical one for the Bonita High School baseball team.
The Bearcats, behind top pitcher Justin Garza, won another Hacienda League title and earned the school’s first CIF-Southern Section championship by defeating Alhambra, 5-1, to take the Division 3 crown.
But while Garza, who was 25-1 over his junior and senior seasons, and other key players are gone, expectations for another year of success are alive and well in La Verne. The Bearcats begin the season ranked No. 1 in the Valley and No. 3 in Division 3.
Here’s the initial area baseball rankings, which include the usual suspects. The story on the top 10 will be in Tuesday’s newspaper:
1. Bonita (32-2 in 2012) – Bearcats still formidable, aided by D-1 transfers
2. Bishop Amat (20-10) – Lancers serious contenders with 8 returning starters
3. South Hills (20-10) – Denson makes Huskies a powerful pick
4. Damien (15-11-1) – Will rely on UCLA commits Hockin and Olsen
5. Nogales (22-7) – Pitching tandem Gonzalez and Guzman are tough to beat
6. Glendora (18-11) – Tartans again the favorite in the Baseline
7. Los Altos (20-10) – If anyone can overtake Bonita in the Hacienda, its the Conqs
8. Northview (16-9-1) – All-leaguers Grijalva and Castaneda make the Vikes a tough out
9. San Dimas (18-9) – Saints will challenge Nogales, Northview for VVL supremacy
10. Diamond Bar (15-9-2) – Brahmas are young, but solid