COLUMN: An Aram special on re-leaguing … when grown ups act like kids, common sense is cast aside

There’s nothing like the re-leaguing process to bring out the high school kid in even the most respected administrators among us.
Oh yes, every four years principals, athletic directors and in some cases even superintendents get together and put on a display befitting something you might see in the quad any day of the week during a lunchtime quarrel between jilted teenaged lovers and their respective groups of friends.
Alliances are formed. Enemies are made. Scapegoats are manufactured.
Certain evidence is cast aside. Success (popularity) is punished and the end result of all of this is new-look leagues for our local sports teams to compete in.

That’s where we’re at now and over the next several weeks. What local sports fans are about to see should be a real doozy.

Ahh, where to begin? How about the Hacienda League? You know, the seven-team league that was formed four years ago when the Miramonte and San Antonio leagues dissolved and Diamond Bar was relieved from the Sierra League.

Notably absent from the Hacienda were the Miramonte and San Antonio league football powerhouses of Charter Oak and South Hills.

You see, they were way too good to stay competing against like schools.

They simply had to be moved to the Sierra League, which subsequently led to them being placed in the Inland Division, where all hopes of postseason success for either school evaporated.

Their crime? Football success.

Nothing more and nothing less. Despite evidence being presented at the time that across-the-board results from all sports actually made Bonita and Diamond Ranch the better candidates to be moved, the administrators made their minds up that bullies only existed in one sport … that is until now.

When the Hacienda League puts together its proposals for re-leaguing shortly, it’s expected that the schools in the league are going to recommend Bonita be shipped out. Why? The Bearcats are too good across the board in all sports.

But wait a sec, going by the logic used four years ago, it should be West Covina which is sent on its merry way. After all, the Bulldogs have won or shared the football league title every year that the Hacienda has been in existence and they’ve also won two CIF championships and were in the semifinals.

Sounds like a Charter Oak/South Hills situation to me.

West Covina isn’t on the chopping block, though, and Bonita is. The reason is because this time around some of the same people who used a football-only argument last time now prefer to view athletic programs through a wide lens.

The CIF-Southern Section policy is to let leagues shape their own futures while following no real set of guidelines other than enrollment, competitive equity and geography. As a result, this is the kind of mess we’re left with.

Wherever principals and athletic directors get their feelings hurt the most, whether it be solely on the football field or across all athletic platforms, that’s where they want change.

There is no mathematical formula that principals and athletic directors are forced to follow. Some do use math, but it’s often just to support one point while overlooking many others.

And yet imagine a system in which emotions and hand-chosen arguments were disallowed in favor of a formula that simply assigned a weighted points value to a league championship in each sport.

Mine would look something like this: football (3 points), boys basketball (2 points), baseball (2 points) and one point for league championships in all other sports. All girls sports would be worth one point each.

Add up the numbers and then determine who really needs relief and who should be thrown to the wolves elsewhere. Sure, there would be some gray areas, but what’s being used now and in the past is bringing out the teenager in everyone involved and it looks Bonita might be the next school to suffer.

Yet it’s hard to feel bad for Bonita because it was part of the collaboration that got Charter Oak and South Hills sent away.

Lost in all of this is that the powers-that-be don’t seem to realize the San Gabriel Valley is a unique place. Teams from this area don’t fit in with those in the Inland Empire.

So when you send Glendora to the Baseline League/Inland Division, South Hills to the Sierra League/Inland Division and presumably now Bonita to the Sierra or Baseline League and the Inland Division, you’re basically punishing success for the sake of not wanting to find a way to simply get better.

Plenty of damage was done four years ago, and if a better way to decipher what our local leagues should look like isn’t found, then rest assured plenty more damage is on the way.

• GP AKA Green Machine

I like your system…makes sense to me.

• OuttaYourMindTrib

Oh sure, punish schools because thay are big. Size has nothing to do with success. It just doesn’t. DLS has a hair over 1,000 students and they routinely ravage our best 3,000+ schools in SoCal on the gridiron.

It’s a old arguement, stop it already.

• That system seems somehow vaguely familiar. I’ll have to search those memory banks and see what rattles loose.

• AMAT 73

OSO VIEJO,
      If the screen name would have been OSO/GATO VIEJO I would have pegged it earlier , Saw a post on another thread concerning baseball and it hit me like a ton of bricks who the old bear is .

• 73,

Don’t tell the guys from the Marshals Service. They’d be sad someone had cracked their wit protection program.

• Aaron

Sounds like when we moved from the Valle Vista after one title and got fed to the wolves for the eight years in the Miramonte, yeah we did some work off the grid-iron, however, Football is the money sport. South Hills won in 1998 and 2000, but they weren’t moved anywhere near as tough as the Miramonte which dominated Div 6 and what is now the Southeast.

• South Hills did not win a CIF championship in football in 1998. 2000 was the first one in the Steve Bogan era….

• RaiderAlum

Here is how the re-leaguing should go:
    Baseline: Ayala, Chino Hills, Los Osos, Etiwanda, Rancho Cucamonga, Upland
    Sierra: Glendora, Bonita, Charter Oak, South Hills, Claremont, West Covina
    Hacienda: Diamond Bar, Walnut, Alta Loma, Chino, Diamond Ranch, Colony
    San Antonio: Rowland, Wilson, Los Altos, Nogales, Northview, Covina, San Dimas
    Montview: Azusa, Gladstone, Sierra Vista, Baldwin Park, Duarte
    Miramonte: La Puente, Workman, Ganesha, Bassett, Edgewood
    Mt. Baldy: Ontario, Montclair, Chaffey, Don Lugo, Pomona, Garey

• OuttaYourMindTrib

Ayala does not belong in the Baseline anymore than Claremont belongs in the Sierra. They will be those leagues’ whipping boys. BOTH of those schools need relief.