I’m already fired up for the fall. This is your football thread to discuss anything you want, the 10 questions, transfers, whose expected to transfer, coaching changes, gossip, whatever. We’ve got a lot to talk about over the next three months
1. Will Antonio “Noodles” Hull, who transferred from West Covina to Diamond Bar, regain his football eligibility after CIF declared him ineligible citing an athletically motivated transfer. Hull’s family has hired an attorney to appeal the decision. My guess is nothing will change. If it didn’t change for South Hills’ Jordan Canada, it probably won’t change for Hull.
2. It appears Damien has had more high profile players transfer out than transfer in since former Bishop Amat legendary coach Mark Paredes took over. Before Damien heads to the Pac-5, will it do anything in the Sierra or Inland with Paredes in charge? My guess, they’ll probably go 5-5.
3. Will Gladstone and El Monte, who had two of the best season’s in school history, even make the playoffs after graduating so many talented players, especially Gladiators QB Kevin Amezquita and Lions QB Brandon Martinez? I say probably not.
4. Is Bishop Amat quarterback Koa Haynes good enough or great enough to lead the Lancers to a Serra league title without a top back returning? Is Bishop Amat good enough to make the playoffs, period? The past few years Amat has been idling. They’re not going up, they’re not going down, they’re stuck in neutral. Will that change? Probably not, expect another second or third place finish in the Serra, and probably a first-round playoff exit.
5. Will San Dimas junior football standout Jake Payton, the Valle Vista League player of the year, remain at San Dimas? I’ve been told by a very reliable source that he is seriously considering transferring and that the wheels are already in motion. Stay tuned!
6. How many players will transfer to Charter Oak knowing they’re going back to the Hacienda League and probably the Southeast Division by 2014? And before it leaves, is there any chance of getting past the second round in the Inland Division? Over/Under is 5 on players transferring in, and no, they probably won’t get past the second round.
7. Will we ever watch Kurt Scoby play football again? He’s been at Charter Oak, Duarte, St. Paul, Alemany and now Monrovia. It’s his senior year, will he play? I’d set the odds at 70-30 that he never plays high school football again.
9. How good will the South Hills freshman football team be with head coach Steve Bogan in charge? He might be the first freshman football coach with four CIF titles.
10T. Who will be the top recruited football player in the Valley? Sadly, can’t think of many.
10T. Who are your sleeper teams for 2013? I’ll give you three, Diamond Bar, Bonita, Duarte.