We’ll keep an eye on the area’s fab four of Chino Hills, Damien boys and Bonita, Bishop Amat girls. All four schools are on the bubble to be selected to the new Open Division at the end of the year. CIF will consider teams that finish in the top ten of their divisional rankings. Bonita girls are the area favorites to get selected. If they do well in the Centennial tournament in Las Vegas coming up, that could seal their fate in the Open Division. Bonita girls are 8-0, even if they lose once in Las Vegas, when they return to the Hacienda League they will likely go undefeated again, meaning they could finish the season with only one, maybe two losses. That could be enough to get them in, which isn’t necessarily a good thing. Bishop Amat girls probably have no chance since they will likely lose a few once the Del Rey starts. Damien and Chino Hills will battle it out in the Sierra. My sense is if one sweeps the other, that could send the sweeper to the Open Division as well.
CIF-SS BOYS BASKETBALL RANKINGS
1. Mater Dei, 2. Etiwanda, 3. Loyola, 4. Corona Centennial, 5. Mayfair, 6. Long Beach Poly, 7. Chino Hills, 8. Damien, 9. Rancho Cucamonga, 10. Roosevelt.
1. St. John Bosco, 2. Redondo Union, 3. Mira Costa, 4. Anaheim Canyon, 5. Glendora, 6. Murreita Valley, 7. Thousand Oaks, 8. Canyon Country Canyon, 9. Foothill, 10. Westlake.
1. Santa Margarita, 2. Brea Olinda, 3. Corona del Mar, 4. La Mirada, 5. Atascadero, 6. San Marcos, 7. Western, 8. Servite, 9. Yorba Linda, 10. Bonita
CIF-SS GIRLS BASKETBALL RANKINGS
1. Mater Dei, 2. Long Beach Poly, 3. Etiwanda, 4. Corona Santiago, 5. Lynwood, 6. Alemany, 7. Troy, 8. Bonita, 9. Canyon Springs, 10. Bishop Amat.
1. Lakeside, 2T. Diamond Ranch, 2T. Santa Barbara, 4. Garden Grove Pacifica, 5. San Juan Hills, 6. Esperanza, 7. South Hills, 8. Corona del Mar, 9. El Modena, 10. Wilson.
1. Lakewood St. Joseph, 2. La Canada, 3. Oak Park, 4. South Pasadena, 5. Inglewood, 6. Santa Margarita, 7. Estancia, 8. Ocean View, 9. Ridgecrest Burroughs, 10. Covina.
LA CANADA BOYS BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT