Boys Basketball Rankings
1. Damien (13-2) — Sierra as tough as ever. Not only is Chino Hills the team to beat, but Ayala and Claremont are right there too.
2. Glendora (13-3) — Tartans will give it the old Tartan try in the Baseline, but finishing in the top three is a tough order. The Palomares League can’t come soon enough.
3. Walnut (10-5) – Two losses to No. 1 Damien by a combined eight points, including a two-point loss in the Covina tourney final. They’re the real deal.
4. Los Altos (11-4) – One of several teams that could compete for the Hacienda League title.
5. Wilson (10-7) – Owns wins over Diamond Ranch, Los Altos, Bishop Amat and is 2-0 in the VVL
6. Diamond Ranch (9-6) — 2-0 start in the Hacienda, including a one-point win over Los Altos
7. Bonita (11-4) — Can’t remember the last time Bonita wasn’t top five during coach Greg Eckler’s tenure. With him gone for good, ‘Cats 0-2 in Hacienda and may continue to drop.
8. Rowland (8-7) – One of several teams in the Hacienda league mix. Big win over Bonita on Friday.
9. Gladstone (11-1) — Raise your hand if you though Gladstone would be the only once-beaten team at this point.
10. South Hills (8-8) — Better enjoy its .500 record because it only gets tougher in the Sierra.
Girls Basketball Rankings
1. Bonita (14-1) — Shouldn’t lose a game in the Hacienda so the question becomes, do you want an invitation to the Open Division?
2. Bishop Amat (14-2) — Lancers beat up on the neighborhood bullies — with the exception of Bonita. Now the tough part, trying to win games in the Del Rey.
3. Diamond Ranch (9-4) — Playing extremely well. Now if they put their roster and stats on MaxPreps, we would know who to talk about.
4. Walnut (8-4) — Lori Huckler is a coaching machine, she always has her ladies near the top. They reached the semifinals of the Ayala tournament.
5. South Hills (11-4) — Areas biggest surprise. Don’t be surprised if it contends for the Sierra League title.
6. Diamond Bar (7-8) — Rough 0-2 start in the Hacienda, which included an upset loss to West Covina.
7. Wilson (8-7) -- Defending league champs face Covina today for outright lead in the VVL
8. Covina (7-9) — Trying to rebound from a so-so year. 2-0 start in VVL just what it needed.
9. Arroyo (8-7) — Mission Valley League favorites?
10. Azusa (8-6) — With Workman and Duarte fading, the Aztecs could be the Montview frontrunners.