Damien, St. Lucy’s win arbitration with CIF to remain in Mt. SAC area instead of going to Parochial leagues

“It’s somewhat ridiculous, in my mind, as to what CIF put these schools through,” said attorney Robert Prada, whose firm represented Damien and St. Lucy’s. “From our point of view, the welfare of these students was not their concern. I think this result validates that.”

VDAMIEN

By Aram Tolegian, Erik Boal, Staff Writers
Get ready, because Damien High School and St. Lucy’s Priory will once again be coming to a league near you, while Oaks Christian and St. Bonaventure could be returning to a familiar place.

The four schools won their arbitration hearing against the CIF-Southern Section on Friday, with Damien and St. Lucy’s headed back to the Mt. SAC Area for playoff grouping rather than being placed in a parochial grouping. Oaks Christian and St. Bonaventure will remain part of the Northern Area.

“This has been a long, hard process, and we are pleased to have resolution,” said Jim McClune, assistant superintendent for the Department of Catholic Schools in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ response to the ruling.

“We are glad that the arbitrator understood the concerns that we had about the Area Placement decision, and its effect on our students. We look forward to working cooperatively with CIF-SS to implement the arbitrator’s decision allowing us to remain in the Northern Area and Mt. SAC Areas. We appreciate that the independent arbitrator rendered his decision promptly, so that all the affected schools can begin planning for the upcoming year.”

Damien, St. Lucy’s, Oaks Christian and St. Bonaventure took to the legal system last spring after they were placed in the parochial area and put into new leagues for the new re-leaguing cycle that runs 2014-16.