Damien improved to 18-1 and 3-0 with a 63-47 win over Etiwanda. Damien led by 20 early, but Etiwanda cut it to three at the half. But the Eagles were no match for Bryce Peters, who finished with a game-high 44 points in getting ready for the game of all games. Next up, Chino Hills (19-0, 3-0) and the UCLA Ballers, ranked No. 1 in the country by most polls, on Friday at Damien at 6:30 p.m. Chino Hills warmed up with a 102-58 win over Upland on Tuesday.
Bishop Amat improved to 9-5-1 and 2-1 in the Del Rey with a 5-0 victory over La Salle. Alex Jaquez (shown below) scored twice and Rachel Serna, Natalie Rodriguez and Victoria Ochoa also scored for the Lancers. In Palomares League games today, South Hills beat Ayala 4-1 behind a pair of goals from Skylar Robledo and Glendora, Claremont tied 1-1. Diamond Bar beat Bonita 2-1. That means South Hills’ (12-1-5, 4-0) game at Claremont (14-2-4, 2-0-2) on Thursday matches the league’s top two teams. Bishop Amat will host St. Joseph’s next week after losing 3-1 to the Joe’s last week.
— Diamond Bar HS (@dbhsorg) January 15, 2016
Tribune Soccer Rankings
1. Diamond Bar (11-1-6) – Huge 2-1 road win at Claremont jumps Brahmas’ to No. 1.
2. Damien (5-1-4) — 3-0 with over Rancho and 0-0 tie with Upland not a bad way to start the Baseline.
3. Ganesha (9-2-4) — Undefeated in Miramonte along with Garey.
4. South El Monte (8-0-1) – Tied at 3-0-1 in the MVL with Mountain View — the two meet Thursday for sole possession of first.
5. Diamond Ranch (9-4-1)– 2-0 start in the Hacienda with Walnut and Chino next.
6. Gladstone (8-3-1) — Biggest surprise of the year. 2-0 in the Montview with a thrilling 3-2 win over defending champ Sierra Vista.
7. Sierra Vista (10-5-1) – Absolutely stunned previous No. 1 is 0-2 in VVL after 2-0 loss to Baldwin Park and shocking 3-2 loss to Gladstone.
8. Los Altos (8-4-2) – Big league opening wins over Walnut and Chino.
9. Mountain View (4-5-3) – After poor start they flipped the switch with a 3-0-1 mark in the competitive MVL.
10. Covina (5-3-3) — Beating Nogales and 2-0 in league officially makes Colts the VVL favorites.
1. South Hills (11-1-5) – Now 3-0 in Palomares, the Huskies’ dominant forward line gets tested against Ayala and Claremont next.
2. Bishop Amat (8-4-1) – Set a CIF-SS record for most goals in a game in an eye-squinting 21-0 win over St. Matthias.
3. St. Lucy’s (13-2-2) — The Regents’ 3-0 league opening win over Rancho Cucamonga shows they’re not going to roll over in Baseline — they’re in it to win it.
4. Sierra Vista (13-2-1) – Duarte started a little bit of a rivalry beating the Dons beating last year. They should both be undefeated in the Montview when they meet again on Thursday.
5. Glendora (6-7-5) — When all is said and done, predicting Tartans finish second to South Hills in Palomares.
6. Los Altos (6-6-2) — Should have know with league starting not to write off coach Chris Reeder and Co. They always turn the switch alone in the Hacienda at 2-0.
7. Charter Oak (4-6-1) – Huge 2-1 win over Diamond Ranch after losing to league favorite Chino.
8. Diamond Ranch (6-7) — 3-2 win over West Covina before losing to Charter Oak later in the week, 2-1.
9. Rowland (10-6) — Big 2-0 start for the Raiders in the Valle Vista. It’s been a while since you talked about the Raiders’ girls soccer team.
10. Duarte (5-3-1) – 2-0 in the Montview with a biggie against Sierra Vista on Thursday.
Boys Basketball Rankings
1. Damien (17-1) — The big week is here. Spartans get Etiwanda Tuesday followed by undefeated and No. 1 in the country Chino Hills at home on Friday.
2. Los Altos (15-1) — Revenge was sweet in the Hacienda opener as the Conquerors beat rival Walnut, 70-68.
3. Walnut (15-3) — Couldn’t handle Los Altos in rematch and now goes to Diamond Ranch Wednesday.
4. Diamond Ranch (12-6) — Opened Hacienda with easy wins over West Covina and Charter Oak. Walnut should give them a game Wednesday.
5. Bonita (15-3) — Already 3-0 in the Palomares with a big one on Friday against Ayala.
6. Bishop Amat (14-3) — 1-1 in Del Rey with big game against La Salle on Friday.
7. San Dimas (10-6) — 2-0 in Valle Vista with a tougher than expected overtime win over Northview.
8. Covina (11-7) — Big games coming up against league leaders Rowland and San Dimas.
9. Workman (10-7) — 2-0 in the Montview with a showdown against Baldwin Park on Friday.
10. Charter Oak (9-6) — Solid league win over Chino and non-league wins over Covina, Wilson
Girls Basketball Rankings
1. Diamond Bar (17-2) — Not just good, looking scary good. Nobody should touch them in the Palomares.
2. Duarte (15-3) — Only a two-point non-league loss to tough Cantwell Sacred Heart.
3. Covina (15-4) — Big anticipated game Wednesday against Rowland followed by San Dimas to close out the week.
4. Rowland (13-2) — Raiders are the feel-good story and get a chance to show if its the real deal against Covina next.
5. South Hills (11-7) — Double-digit loss to No. 1 Diamond Bar. Gets Bonita this week for second-best in Palomares.
6. Bonita (13-8) — Not bad, overtime win over Glendora, then loss to South Hills.
7. Los Altos (12-5) — Guess who’s 2-0 in the Hacienda with a win over Walnut?
8. St. Lucy’s (12-4) — Things were looking so great until the Baseline started where Regents already 0-2.
9. Glendora (12-7) — Was hoping for better than a 1-2 start in league.
10. Walnut (10-6) — Surprising loss to Los Altos.
Friday’s Boys Basketball Schedule
Damien at Upland, 6:30 p.m.
Chino Hills at Rancho Cucamonga, 6:30 p.m.
Etiwanda at Los Osos, 6:30 p.m.
Camino Real League
Bishop Amat at Bell-Jeff, 7 p.m.
Diamond Ranch at Charter Oak, 6:45 p.m.
Los Altos at Chino, 6:45 p.m.
West Covina at Walnut, 6:45 p.m.
Ganesha at Edgewood, 6:30 p.m.
Pomona at Garey, 6:30 p.m.
Bassett at La Puente, 6:30 p.m.
Mission Valley League
South El Monte at Marshall, 4:45 p.m.
Arroyo at Rosemead, 4:45 p.m.
Mountain View at Gabrielino, 4:45 p.m.
Sierra Vista at Gladstone, 6 p.m.
Baldwin Park at Azusa, 6 p.m.
Duarte at Workman, 6 p.m.
Bonita at South Hills, 6:30 p.m.
Claremont at Diamond Bar, 6:30 p.m.
Glendora at Ayala, 6:30 p.m.
Valle Vista League
Covina at Wilson, 6:30 p.m.
Rowland at Nogales, 6:30 p.m.
Northview at San Dimas, 6:30 p.m.
HALL OF FAME GAME: Rosters for the upcoming Hall of Fame All-Star Game for high school football seniors were finalized and the game looks like it will be a good one.
Thanks to expanded borders and a larger area with which to pool talent from, both the West and East teams had plenty of talent to choose from and each loaded up a roster that looks more than capable of getting the win.
“I think it’s as good as we’ve ever had,” West Covina football coach and game organizer Mike Maggiore said. “There’s a lot of schools represented, there’s some big name players, and I think it’s going to be a great game.The game will be played on Jan. 30 at West Covina High. Kickoff is 6 p.m.