Boys Basketball Rankings
1. Damien (19-2) — Spartans followed a blowout loss to Chino Hills, ranked No. 1 in the country with a victory over Martin Luther King HS, 73-57.
2. Los Altos (19-1) — Will try to defend No. ranking at No. 3 Diamond Ranch on Wednesday
3. Diamond Ranch (14-6) — Undefeated in the Hacienda with Los Altos in town on Wednesday.
4. Walnut (17-4) — League losses to Los Altos and Diamond Ranch.
5. Bonita (17-4) — Will host Ayala for sole possession of first on Tuesday.
6. Bishop Amat (16-4) — Lancers 2-2 in Camino Real, a league it finally has a chance to compete in.
7. San Dimas (14-6) — Saints are 4-0 in Valle Vista and will host Rowland for first on Wednesday.
8. Workman (13-7) — 4-0 in the Montview and should go undefeated in league.
9. Charter Oak (10-8) — Chargers have it tough being in a league with Wanut, Los Altos and Diamond Ranch.
10. Glendora (10-11) — Only a four-point loss to Los Altos in Saturday’s SoCal Shootout.
Girls Basketball Rankings
1. Diamond Bar (18-2) — Cruised through the first-half of the Palomares without breaking a sweat. Could go undefeated until the playoffs.
2. Duarte (17-3) — Nobody to challenge the Falcons in the Montview.
3. Rowland (16-2) — Crushed Covina by 12 in battle for first in the Valle Vista.
4. Covina (16-5) — Couldn’t handle Rowland, losing by 12 in game for first place in VVL.
5. Los Altos (15-5) — Undefeated at 4-0 in the Hacienda. Who saw this coming?
6. South Hills (12-7) — In second at 3-1 in the Palomares and a chance to add a copule more wins before facing Diamond Bar next week.
7. Bonita (13-9) — Tied for second with Glendora in Palomares at 2-2.
8. Glendora (14-7) — Solid season and though tied for third in Palomares, can do much better.
9. Walnut (12-6) — Can get back in league title chase against Los Altos on Friday.
10. St. Lucy’s (13-6) — Great start in December, but 0-4 in the Baseline.
Saturday’s SoCal Shootout at Azusa Pacific University
About the Shootout: The 14th Annual Southern California Shootout will be held this Saturday at Azusa Pacific University’s Felix Event Center. This year’s field of 18 teams is a showcase for teams in the San Gabriel Valley with invited teams from the Inland Empire, Orange County, and Ventura County.
Admission: $10 for an all day pass
Saturday’s Schedule at APU
San Dimas vs. Flintridge Prep, 9 a.m.
Los Altos vs. Glendora, 10:25 a.m.
Claremont vs. Sonora, 11:50 a.m.
Colony vs. Walnut, 1:15 p.m.
Etiwanda vs. Alta Loma, 2:45 p.m.
Oak Park vs. La Canada, 4:15 p.m.
Bonita vs. St. John Bosco, 5:45 p.m.
ML King vs. Damien, 7:15 p.m.
Los Osos vs. Riverside Poly, 8:45 p.m.
Damien improved to 18-1 and 3-0 with a 63-47 win over Etiwanda. Damien led by 20 early, but Etiwanda cut it to three at the half. But the Eagles were no match for Bryce Peters, who finished with a game-high 44 points in getting ready for the game of all games. Next up, Chino Hills (19-0, 3-0) and the UCLA Ballers, ranked No. 1 in the country by most polls, on Friday at Damien at 6:30 p.m. Chino Hills warmed up with a 102-58 win over Upland on Tuesday.
Bishop Amat improved to 9-5-1 and 2-1 in the Del Rey with a 5-0 victory over La Salle. Alex Jaquez (shown below) scored twice and Rachel Serna, Natalie Rodriguez and Victoria Ochoa also scored for the Lancers. In Palomares League games today, South Hills beat Ayala 4-1 behind a pair of goals from Skylar Robledo and Glendora, Claremont tied 1-1. Diamond Bar beat Bonita 2-1. That means South Hills’ (12-1-5, 4-0) game at Claremont (14-2-4, 2-0-2) on Thursday matches the league’s top two teams. Bishop Amat will host St. Joseph’s next week after losing 3-1 to the Joe’s last week.
Tribune Soccer Rankings
1. Diamond Bar (11-1-6) – Huge 2-1 road win at Claremont jumps Brahmas’ to No. 1.
2. Damien (5-1-4) — 3-0 with over Rancho and 0-0 tie with Upland not a bad way to start the Baseline.
3. Ganesha (9-2-4) — Undefeated in Miramonte along with Garey.
4. South El Monte (8-0-1) – Tied at 3-0-1 in the MVL with Mountain View — the two meet Thursday for sole possession of first.
5. Diamond Ranch (9-4-1)– 2-0 start in the Hacienda with Walnut and Chino next.
6. Gladstone (8-3-1) — Biggest surprise of the year. 2-0 in the Montview with a thrilling 3-2 win over defending champ Sierra Vista.
7. Sierra Vista (10-5-1) – Absolutely stunned previous No. 1 is 0-2 in VVL after 2-0 loss to Baldwin Park and shocking 3-2 loss to Gladstone.
8. Los Altos (8-4-2) – Big league opening wins over Walnut and Chino.
9. Mountain View (4-5-3) – After poor start they flipped the switch with a 3-0-1 mark in the competitive MVL.
10. Covina (5-3-3) — Beating Nogales and 2-0 in league officially makes Colts the VVL favorites.
1. South Hills (11-1-5) – Now 3-0 in Palomares, the Huskies’ dominant forward line gets tested against Ayala and Claremont next.
2. Bishop Amat (8-4-1) – Set a CIF-SS record for most goals in a game in an eye-squinting 21-0 win over St. Matthias.
3. St. Lucy’s (13-2-2) — The Regents’ 3-0 league opening win over Rancho Cucamonga shows they’re not going to roll over in Baseline — they’re in it to win it.
4. Sierra Vista (13-2-1) – Duarte started a little bit of a rivalry beating the Dons beating last year. They should both be undefeated in the Montview when they meet again on Thursday.
5. Glendora (6-7-5) — When all is said and done, predicting Tartans finish second to South Hills in Palomares.
6. Los Altos (6-6-2) — Should have know with league starting not to write off coach Chris Reeder and Co. They always turn the switch alone in the Hacienda at 2-0.
7. Charter Oak (4-6-1) – Huge 2-1 win over Diamond Ranch after losing to league favorite Chino.
8. Diamond Ranch (6-7) — 3-2 win over West Covina before losing to Charter Oak later in the week, 2-1.
9. Rowland (10-6) — Big 2-0 start for the Raiders in the Valle Vista. It’s been a while since you talked about the Raiders’ girls soccer team.
10. Duarte (5-3-1) – 2-0 in the Montview with a biggie against Sierra Vista on Thursday.