Boys Basketball Rankings
1. Damien (15-1) — Only loss to Mater Dei in “The Classic” final and gets tougher Tuesday against undefeated Chino Hills on the road in Baseline opener.
2. Los Altos (10-2) — Has been good, but might be time to take the next step to great. They have Jarod Lucas, one of the best sophs in California.
3. Bonita (10-4) — Strong wins over Whittier and La Canada and hung tough with Damien in finals of La Canada tournament.
4. Walnut (11-5) — Wins over Bishop Amat, West Covina, Diamond Bar and close two-point loss to JW North. Big game is at Los Altos on Friday.
5. Diamond Bar (10-5) — Solid wins over Covina, Charter Oak and lost last three by a combined seven points. They will battle Bonita, Ayala in Palomares.
6. Bishop Amat (12-2) — Good wins over South Hills and West Covina, but needs to improve its schedule.
7. San Dimas (9-6) — The Valle Vista league favorites have good wins over South Hills, West Covina and Glendora.
8. Workman (10-5) — For a Montview League team, Lobos have played a tough schedule which includes wins over Verbum Dei and Centennial.
9. West Covina (10-7) — Nick Hart is averaging an area best 37 points a game, but Bulldogs have to show they’re not a one-trick pony.
10. Charter Oak (10-3) — Biggest surprise of the season, but real test will come in the Hacienda league.
Girls Soccer Rankings
1. Glendora (10-3-1) — With wins this past week over Bishop Amat, St. Lucy’s, Diamond Bar and a solid December, Tartans have earned No. 1 spot.
2. Bishop Amat (12-3) – Should be a favorite in Division 3 with return of super senior Sophia Serafin, and already owns two wins over South Hills.
3. South Hills (6-6-1) — Huskies can blame the mediocre start to injuries and graduated stars after last year’s CIF and state title runs.
4. Bonita (8-6-1) — A team to watch in the Palomares, despite a league opening 2-0 loss to Ayala. Owns a 6-0 win over San Marino, and 4-0 win over Walnut.
5. West Covina (5-2-7) – Only losses to Bishop Amat and Claremont with seven ties. That’s not bad at all. Won’t be surprised if they battle for Hacienda League title.
6. Charter Oak (9-2-1) – Great start by the Chargers, but hasn’t played a very tough schedule. Hacienda league will be the truth teller.
7. St. Lucy’s (5-6-2) – Not a good sign heading into the unforgiving Baseline League.
8. Los Altos (6-6-3) — Several losses to very good teams, so hard to tell where the Conquerors are at. It does have ties with Diamond Bar and Bonita
9. Nogales (7-3-2) – Watch out for the Nobles under new coach Gilbert Luna, who coached the Rowland boys in the late 90s.
10. Rowland (7-4-2) – Looking like it will battle Nogales for the Valle Vista league title after a strong showing in December.