Let’s keep this rolling…
Oh, and thanks for all the questions. PLEASE keep them coming…this is fun.
1) Is there anyway we can get some real in depth news instead of just links to other stories published by other new papers or internet sites?
2) Jon, Why does UCLA still put its players in the hot baked sun of the Rose Bowl? It makes no sense for the home team to bake in the sun.
If anyone has gone from a high school basketball or football game to a major arena, the whole depth of the field changes completely. It is absolutely crucial to get some in the stadium, just to see how the ball moves, the angles of light, etc.
3) Why doesnt the staff play Theriot more on run plays?
Chane Moline is the starting fullback.
4) Have you heard from Dohn and do you know what he is doing now?
Haven’t spoken to Dohn since he moved back east; just haven’t had much time. I have it on good order that the family is doing well, the kids are loving New Jersey and their school(s?) and that he is settling into his new job, though he hasn’t been writing as much as he gets his ducks in order.
5) Jon – if Kevin Craft plays extremely well for the next two games (no turnovers, great pass completion ratio), will he then be the starting QB despite a healthy Prince for the games thereafter?
I cannot believe that would happen, not unless he goes LIGHTS OUT. Being a good quarterback is more than just having a good game on a particular Saturday. If Rick Neuheisel and Norm Chow see enough in Craft to make them believe he is their best option, he’ll get the job. But it will be more than just on the next two Saturdays.
6) Hi Jon, do you know where can I buy a UCLA sweater vest? I’d like to be Neuheisel for Halloween, but can’t track one down at the student store.
I literally just tried every possible google search, but no dice. I say you just make one yourself. Well worth it.
7) How do you like the job so far?
Love it. When I was four or five years old, a class assignment asked what we wanted to do with our life. I wrote, “Write about sports. UCLA sports.” My mom still has the paper.
8) What do you think of Neuheisal so far…coaching style and ability and general personality?
In 2005, when I was covering San Diego State, I wrote emphatically that the Aztecs should have hired him over Chuck Long. I stand by that.
9) Whats up with Hasiak. He began the season starting, then against Tenn he shared the guard postion and last game against KSU he didn’t play at all. The next step is playing on the scout team.
Hasiak is a freshman behind a sophomore who started eight games and a talented JUCO transfer. He’ll get his time, don’t worry.
10) You had said you would have to do a lot of catch up on recruiting, but I believe you addressed RB Malcolm Jones already. Scout.com says it’s down to UCLA and Stanford. Any idea which way he might go or when he might decide?
I have a feeling he’ll pick UCLA, just because it’s closer to home. He really, really likes Stanford though. This one will be tough, I’m not going to lie.