Check out the latest batch of weekly answers…
1) UCLA’s team Adidas gear is cool but they don’t sell it anywhere, why re-up with Adidas? Why not have Adidas agree to put UCLA gear in more stores? Who would’ve you signed with? – Anonymous
You re-up with Adidas because that gives UCLA the best options. Nike isn’t much of an option with Oregon and USC, Under Armour is a little too young and not a household name and they’ve had a pretty good relationship with Adidas. I see no need for a change.
2) Assuming Smith starts at the 5 and Nelson at the 4, who is the best candidate to back them up? Seems like Lane is a 4 and Stover is a 5. Both don’t seem to be ready yet. What do you think? – Anonymous
Lane is ready, or at least will be if healthy, and Stover is still a work in progress. I’m very interested to see how Stover progresses during the offseason.
3) In my opinion, in following BP as a bruin one may assume that he is easily a top ten pick,yet he seems to be going higher and higher on the boards, do you think scouts are caring too much about combine numbers than actual tape? – Anonymous
Oh, higher as in lower. I’m very surprised Price is falling this fast, particularly after he rose so fast toward the end of the season. There haven’t been any disastrous reports, he has strong character, obviously put up the numbers and has the size. Like I said, I’m surprised.
4) The game against Houston in the fall is on Yom Kippur. Have they announced the time of the game? Any chance it will be a night game to avoid issues with those who observe Yom Kippur? Are there any Jewish players on the team? – Anonymous
A couple of ticket websites have the game listed at 1 p.m. I’m not sure about the Jewish players on the team. I might be in trouble, though – same thing happened to me in high school with practice. Had to skip.
5) Are there any transfers / walk-ons that u know about of interest? How are Rice Jr and Pop doing? any chance of any of them breaking thru? – Anonymous
Without ideal size, it’s very hard for a walk-on to get that shot. Brett Downey got the shot, but he also put on something like 50 pounds since he’s been at UCLA. I enjoy watching Rice and Papadakis, but they don’t really have a shot. One guy I like is tight end/long snapper Kevin McDermott, who’s been getting some run with Fauria out the last couple days.