Check out the latest batch of weekly answers…
1) We obviously need a kick@$$ recruiter as an assistant since Howland is so good at in-game coaching, so who do u think will be brought in to fill Daniels’ void? When do u think the decision will be made? – maxp
I wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up with Phil Matthews, the former USF and Ventura College coach who is now an assistant at Nebraska.
2) Are you bothered by ESPN linking to such programs as USC, Florida, Ohio State, and Oregon web sites? It seems that when a prospect is high on UCLA – they never fail to mention USC as someone else who is interested. When the roles are reversed, UCLA is mentioned as an afterthought. I feel this is a conflict as it promotes certain programs over others. – Bruin NC
Comes with being an underdog. If UCLA starts to win more, they won’t be an afterthought.
3) With Abele now out indefinitely and Filo on his mission, is offensive line a big worry to the coaching staff? – John A
The offensive line will miss Su’a-Filo, but Palcic is very confident in the group. I’ll have an interview with him up later today.
4) Can you give us your thoughts on the progress of the offense and the defense so far now that we’re getting closer to the midway point of spring practice? – Spencer
The Revolver looks great, and if it isn’t their base package, it should be. Prince looks mature out there and heady. The backups are a ways a way, but the receiving game could be special. Legit guys for the first time in a while. Running game needs some work, but that will come with the line improving. Defensive front seven has been surprisingly stout, particularly Nate Chandler. If he gives UCLA half the production of Price, they should be happy. Need to see more from the linebackers, though I’m impressed by Glenn Love. DBs look very good, and I think Hester has it in him to be special.
5) Is Josh Smith TOO much of a “project” to expect him to 1. Start, 2. average in double figures scoring, 3. pull 7-10 rebounds per game? – Bobby