Sorry for the delay on these, guys, it’s been a crazy week. I’m on Lakers for the next couple weeks, but if the UCLA softball team advances to the CWS, I’ll be sure to have a story.
Anyway, onto the answers…
1) Did Ben Olsen end up getting a shot as a free agent with an NFL team? – Ryan
2) I would think Ben Howland’s job security and the prospect of the BB program making a comeback are tied to his reputation among the recruits. What are his local and national reputations? Do you think they have been damaged beyond repair by this recent season and the exodus of players? – Anonymous
Given the recent events, and even before them, it’s ludicrous to say his reputation is beyond repair. He had a bad year, stemming from a bad year of recruiting. It happens.
3) Could you tell the people doubting us to get real? UCLA’s biggest–pun intended–problem the past 2 seasons was a lack of size. Well, we’re both 6’10 and can solve that problem for three years. And it’s not like we have to be all world. Howland took teams to the Final Four with the likes of Ryan Hollins and Lorenzo Mata starting at center. You think we’re better than those guys, right? – David and Travis Wear
Yes on all counts.
4) Why is the NCAA so feckless with regards to all the conference jockeying? Seems like the conferences can cherry pick whomever they want whenever they want. Isn’t the NCAA supposed to be the governing body? – Blue Bruin
I believe the conferences pick their own members, not the NCAA.
5) With only having scholarships available, why doesnt CRN just pick the best 15 players and go after them instead of wasting time and recruiting so many other players? – Jerome
Because that’s just not how recruiting works. You cast a lot of reels and hope for the best fish.