* One of UCLA’s best practices in a long time ended with head coach Rick Neuheisel shouting, “Hell of a football practice out there boys!” About 100 percent reversal from the Wednesday practice before Stanford.
* Derrick Coleman was back in white on Wednesday, and he should be available for Texas. UCLA head coach Rick Neuheisel was non-committal about his role as starter, but given Johnathan Franklin’s performance against Houston, you’d have to think he’ll start.
* Jeff Baca is out of his walking boot, and Neuheisel hopes to get him back soon for the scout team, as he’s academically ineligible this season.
* Neuheisel said Datone Jones is about four weeks away from having his cast removed, and will have another X-ray shortly.
* Spoke briefly with Nik Abele out at practice, and there remains a slim chance that he could return. He’s seeing a chiropractor about once every two weeks – down from once a week – and there’s hope that there’s a way to fuse the discs in his neck so they don’t continue to bulge. Will keep monitoring this.
* Jordon James had a few nice runs, and I wonder if he’ll be used this year. I would use him, personally, because I love his running style. But if they continue to get this production in the running game, I’m not sure you burn that redshirt.
* Saw a few nice catches out there – Nelson Rosario had a good grab, Ricky Marvray had one, Josh Smith had two, and Jerry Johnson had a couple. I wonder what happens with Johnson after this year; he shows a ton of promise, but just can’t get over the hump and into meaningful rotation reps.
* Mike Harris continues to work with the ones at right tackle, and Neuheisel said the starter (Harris or Micah Kia) is a game-time decision.