Check out the latest batch of weekly answers…
1) Do you think the coaching staff puts the best players on the field? If so I think Abbot, Westgate, David Carter, Pat Cowan, Kevin Craft, and Viney should have played more or sooner in the past and I think Randall Carroll, Sheldon Price, Morrell Presley, Andre Dean, and Malcolm Jones either shouldn’t have seen the field or saw the field before they were really ready. Lets hope Jordon James gets to see the field as much as he should. – Anonymous
Great question. While I disagree with some of your individual suggestions – Kevin Craft? – and agree with some – Abbott, Viney, Presley, Jones – I think the premise is sound. I do think they put the players who they think are best, but I think the leashes are too long on unproven guys. I’ve never understood the idea of earning playing time in practice and then not delivering in games, yet still having the spot. You have to win. Win. That’s all. If a player is not playing well and hasn’t earned the cache of Rahim Moore, yank him. That’s just me, though.
2) What are your thoughts on the players interaction with the new coordinators? Do you think they are responding to them well? Thanks. – Anonymous
For the most part, yes, but we knew that was going to be an issue heading into spring camp. There was very little time for mingling before things got started. Heading into fall, I imagine it will be much smoother in that regard.
3) Guerrero hasn’t won a major mens championship (football, basketball) in a decade or more. Some want him to move on. Are you interested in the job? – localbruin
First off, Guerrero hasn’t been at UCLA for a decade yet, and never in a gazillion years would I want the job. I would be horrible. I’d give every extra drop of money to football and everyone else would hate me.
4) Jon, is Brandon Huffman as dreamy in person as he comes across in your interviews? Thanks! – HuffCrushin
He’s George Clooney mixed with a dash of Clark Gable, and his voice sounds like a young Peter Gabriel. His striking demeanor is that of Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch, but he has a flare for the dramatic like a swashbuckling Errol Flynn. Combine all that with the wit of a Ken Jennings and the giddy playfullness of a young Goldie Hawn, and you got Brandon Huffman. And your starting right guard.
5) What do the new football coaches bring to the program that was missing in previous years? – mike04
I would say two things: Ownership and swagger.