Check out the latest batch of weekly answers…
1) Will the DT’s anchor the defense or be an anchor attached to CRN’s leg? – Anonymous
Another good question. I think it will be neither. If UCLA is subpar this season, yes, the defensive tackle position will not have performed, but they’re not the only questionable unit. Is that a cop-out? Probably.
2) Hi Jon, I was wondering if maybe you could do some further questioning either to Neuheisel or maybe even Brehaut himself. I’ve read in the OC register and heard it commented before that Neuheisel says that Brehaut needs to “shows that he wants the job more in order to win it”. That comment is rather curious to me because by all indications he never missed a beat in keeping all his spring football commitments, preformed pretty strong in spring, has proven to have the respect of his teammates, is a hell of a lot more physically tough than Prince, throws a much more catchable ball in my opinion and seems to plays with a lot more “moxie” than Prince and although he has continued to be on the baseball team has made it publically and personally evident that football is his number 1 priority. This kid didn’t get a fair shake with Chow the last two seasons and I personally was looking forward to a change to Brehaut at QB. What is your opinion on this matter or what do you know to be the facts? Is Brehaut just in the doghouse with Neu because of baseball and he’ll never believe Brehaut wants the job because of it? Or is he just saying this stuff to keep both QB’s guessing. What does Neu want Brehaut to do in order to show him that he wants the job.. Seems that he’s done that to me. I would like to have more information to understand this odd situation – David Kirk
Your guess is as good as mine, and unfortunately, I know for a fact the quarterbacks are up in the air, too. The communication breakdowns last year between Neuheisel and Chow and Prince and Brehaut were devastating to the team, and I think by saying these kinds of quotes to the public, it leads to even more chaos. Why not just say, ‘We’re looking forward to seeing a healthy Kevin Prince and the competition that follows?’ Why throw Brehaut under the bus? If it’s some kind of motivation factor, it doesn’t work. It NEVER works. I thought the handling of Brehaut would change with Chow’s departure, but it hasn’t. Regarding the baseball thing: The kid hit over .400 as a sophomore and junior in high school and scouts know he has talent. If he’s getting jerked around in football, why not explore the baseball path? It’s not like he missed any time in spring football for baseball – that was made quite clear. I just don’t get how it’s played in the media either.
3) Jon could you tell us where the UCLA baseball comitts were drafted – UCLAVES
From what I gather, this is it: Kevin Kramer – Indians; Tyler Goeddel – Rays; Joe Ross – Padres; Austin Hedges – Padres; Eric Snyder – Rangers. I might be missing one or two, but I think that’s it.
4) Jon..what involvement can the football coaching staff have with the players between now and fall camp? – jwrbruins
None on the field.
5) If he had entered the NBA draft this year, were would Josh Smith have been drafted? – BruinBall
Great question, but a tough one to answer. His conditioning and work habit concerns probably would have sent him to the bottom of the first round, but that’s where the best GMs pick – there’s a reason they’re drafting late, and it’s because they win – and they seem to like to go with surer bets when they go the American route. I would guess early second round.