Check out the latest batch of weekly answers…
1) Have you viewed a highlight video of Mario Yakoo? If so what did you think and can you provide the link for the rest of us? – Anonymous
The only video of him I’ve seen is on Scout.com, but it’s premium content, so you’ll need a pass. From what I’ve seen, he’s a big boy with a good body, but he tends to use his size and strength against what appear to be weaker linemen, without much technique. He’s a project, but projects have worked before, and Palcic is a good coach. Here’s a link, anyway: Video
2) Jon you seem to be very knowledgeable on O line play. What prompted the change to weak and strong side alignments? Personnel, Maestro, pass protection. Thanks Rico Bruin
I think it mostly has to do with personnel.
3) Chris Martin OLB/DE has left U. of Florida. (committed to Notre Dame then Cal and then the Gators). Is this a player that the Bruins could use? Are they recruiting him? In general should UCLA pursue “fickle” athletes,like Brandon Willis and Chris Martin? – Anonymous
I think you go on a case by case basis, but with the baggage that Martin brings along, I’m not so sure it’s a good idea.
4) Do you feel Malcolm Jones should red shirt this season do to depth at our running back position? – ty
No, I think Jones can fill a valuable role for UCLA this year, and I can’t imagine them redshirting him. Jim Maestro wants four running backs, and while Jones won’t get 20 carries a game, he should get a decent shot at a good workload.
5) Jon, Neuheisel got a law degree form USC. He might be purposefully sabotaging Ucla football. Can you ask him next time you see him? – localbruin
Wow…that’s all I gotta say. Wow.