Check out the first batch of weekly answers…
1) In your opinion, do you see any new four- or five-star football recruits committing to the Bruins in the next month or two? I know it is early, but I wanted your perspective. Thanks! – Sunset Bruin
I would be surprised if that happened before the season begins to unfold. I think UCLA can open a lot of eyes with a good start, and a lot of those eyes are completely shut right now. College football is fickle: It’s not going to take a 12-0 season to change minds, but it will take a good start.
2) do you ever get tired of covering ucla and answering the same questions year after year, just with different names and stats? what would you do if you decided to do something else? – BruininSeattle
Interesting question. I don’t think I’m a natural beat writer, in terms of the specific qualities and focuses that a beat writer should possess. I’ve always been more into feature and column-writing, and I think it’s reflected in my writing, which often is too dramatic for the occasion. But I honestly can’t really help it, and it’s just who I am. So am I tired of covering “UCLA?” Not specifically. And I’m surprised by how excited for the upcoming season I am, because with baseball going so far last year, I was pretty worn out for even my down-time. But I know I’m not a Brian Dohn – he is an excellent beat writer and thought like one – and I don’t really try to be, because it will never happen.
3) Any news on Jerry Rice Jr? Haven’t heard anything about him. – BruinRogue
Not really any news on him; the wide receiver position, though under new hands, is still seeming status quo when it comes to the rotation, and I can’t imagine much playing time for him.
4) Your house is on the line. Do we beat Texas at home? – captainqtp
Ask me this again on August 12th and I’ll answer you.
5) Not really a question but Jacob Ruffman is a boss. He’s a nice addition to the blog. Good call on that one. – Anonymous
I was begging for months to bring Jacob aboard as a recruiting supplement, because he’s very, very into recruiting in a way that I am not nor have time for. Hopefully his contributions can become even more regular, and I look forward to him helping us out with high school sports coverage as well. He’s an assistant editor at the Daily Bruin, and they continue to provide great coverage from Sam Strong, Ryan Menezes and Ryan Eshoff, who are covering football next year.