* Not too much to glean from what was mainly a mental-rep kind of practice in preparation of tomorrow’s scrimmage at 5 p.m. at Drake Stadium. Players were in just helmets and jerseys, no pads, and we’ll call it a “teaching” practice.
* Kevin Prince and Richard Brehaut both saw a lot of time today, and neither was particularly good, but it’s hard to look too good on a day like today. Some good throws for both, some bad, most of the good stuff was tight and over the middle.
* I asked Mike Johnson about the wide receiver position and he feels pretty confident that he has six guys who can do whatever he needs on the field between them. That’s going to be something I really focus on tomorrow in the scrimmage – personnel packages and how they’re used.
* Still, the coaches aren’t putting a real premium on the scrimmage in terms of the depth chart or decisions being made. I get the feeling that it’s going to be a rather typical UCLA scrimmage, rather than a major “showcase” for the fans.
* Jordan Zumwalt was looking really active out there and he is really excited to be back and competing for the starting linebacker spot with Glenn Love. The whole linebacker corps was looking good.
* Eric Kendricks came flying in on Malcolm Jones, and I’m convinced one of them would’ve been in pain if they were in full pads.
* Anthony Barr is getting a lot of action out of the backfield, and has looked decent. I still think he runs too upright to be a true running back at this level. He should be used creatively to maximize his strengths.