* Not a good end to practice at all, with UCLA head coach Rick Neuheisel drilling his team for a lengthy period, including shouting: “I can’t be the only one who cares!”
* At times it looked that way, as players got to the line slowly, committed numerous false starts and jumped offsides, and generally just didn’t have it today. The closing period was pretty rough, and it led to Neuheisel’s tirade.
* Kevin Prince was much more involved today than yesterday, and he appears pretty close to full-go for San Jose State. The concussion is fully cleared, and now it’s a range-of-motion and comfort issue for the shoulder, which still has some pain. Neuheisel didn’t name Brehaut starter for Saturday, but it’d be a shock if he wasn’t. Brett Hundley continues to see most snaps at second string, but Neuheisel still doesn’t sound too insistent on using him in a package.
* Jeff Baca saw extensive time at weak tackle, with Sean Sheller moving into guard, but Neuheisel is going to do the…prudent…thing and play Baca only as much as he can handle. He’s still working into football shape, and the conditioning is not there yet.
* There were some highlights to practice, such as when Joe Tresey sprinted across the field to high five Sean Westgate after Westgate got good air while deflecting a pass to Joseph Fauria.
* The passing game looked really good early, with Fauria a prime target. Shaq Evans had a couple real nice plays and moves early, too.
* Notable: A lot more guys were working after practice than usual, including Greg Capella with his snaps and Kip Smith with the kicking game.
* Pick up a copy of the Daily News tomorrow for what should be a really good feature on Cassius Marsh.