* A pretty sharp practice from an execution and energy standpoint, much better than last week.
* Rick Neuheisel is again mum about the starting quarterback duties, but the time seemed pretty split between Richard Brehaut and Kevin Prince. In most drills, Brehaut got the first reps, but in two-minute at the close of practice, Prince was in there before Brehaut. Both worked with the first team.
* Prince had a nice practice and seems to be coming along well as he recovers from a shoulder sprain. He threw the ball with a lot more authority today.
* Saw a little more of Derrick Coleman in practice than usual, and you have to assume that his big game against San Jose State and against Texas last season will play a factor in his role Saturday.
* Sean Sheller had a pretty nice practice at guard with Jeff Baca primarily working as first-team weak tackle, and the line is starting to take shape. Kai Maiava got the majority of work at first-team center as was to be expected, but Bob Palcic had a lot of praise for Greg Capella when I chatted with him at the end of practice. If he continues to mature at the pace he’s been, UCLA’s line looks pretty good going forward, with the expected return of Xavier Su’a-Filo next year.
* Senior linebacker Glenn Love returned to practice on Tuesday for the first time since dislocating his shoulder in Week 1 against Houston.
* Redshirt freshman kicker Kip Smith exited practice early with what Neuheisel called a hip flexor issue, but he’s expected to be fine for Texas.
* Senior safety Tony Dye practiced in a red no-contact jersey with lingering soreness from the San Jose State game.
* Redshirt freshman defensive lineman Wesley Flowers (punctured lung) returned to practice in a red no-contact jersey. F-back Damien Thigpen remains out of practice (hamstring).