Just had a quick chat with UCLA coach Ben Howland from Maui (and Los Angeles under about 19 feet of rain…thanks Daily News), and here are the newsiest bits of news.
* Howland said he expects some “good minutes” out of Anthony Stover, and that his return will really be crucial to the defense because how good he is not just at blocking shots, but altering them.
* Reeves Nelson had his best practice of the year on Thursday, Howland said. But he also added that the situation is not an “overnight fix,” and that it’s going to take work to resolve itself.
* With David Wear out with a concussion, Howland said he expected the opposing defenses to run less zone, which should help the offense get more comfortable from outside.
* He added that, yes, there will be defensive changes, but wouldn’t really expand on that, nor did I expect him too.
* Nothing about pina coladas or surfing.