Check out the latest batch of weekly answers…
1) Why wasn’t CRN allowed to coach in the bowl game? – bibs
UCLA wanted to move into the coaching search sooner. Of course, 12 days later…
2) Great job covering the football team all year — thanks very much for your efforts. Have you been impressed with Guerrero’s tenure as AD? It seems he has some major accomplishments (non revenue sports), but also some major gaffes (Pauley renovation, FB head coaches, etc.). Should Bruin fans have confidence in him (from what you’ve seen/heard, both over the past couple weeks and his body of work) to find and hire the right coach for the FB program? Thanks! – Anonymous
Are you trying to get me killed? I’ll say this: I understand the frustration of long-suffering UCLA football fans, but don’t stare at a grain of sand and miss the ocean. Unless UCLA makes a system-wide decision to become a football school, which it most decidedly is not, I think any job involved with the program has built-in difficulties which would take an expert to overcome. Maybe there is such an expert, but I know it isn’t easy.
3) Do you know if Vic Fangio is being seriously considered by UCLA? – Anonymous
He would be a great hire, but I don’t think that’s realistic.
4) Jon, secretly UCLA has to be overjoyed to get Illinois in San Francisco and not Boise St in Vegas. Do you agree? Also, getting to play in AT&T park could be a once in a lifetime experience. – Island Bruin
I don’t think too much consideration is being put on that. Of course, the Bruins definitely got the better draw in terms of competition, but there’s not a world of difference between the two bowls.
5) Dear Jon, why can’t UCLA find a football coach?… thank you, depressed Bruin since 1998 – bruincheerleader
If they would’ve just called Eric Taylor, this thing could’ve been wrapped up days ago. And think of the infusion of booster money that Buddy Garrity would’ve brought.