* Interim head coach Mike Johnson’s first practice after taking over for Rick Neuheisel was not vastly different from that of the previous four months. More emphasis on team drills, though that is typical during bowl preparation. Some intriguing offensive formations, a good energy. But nothing too drastically different.
* Johnson also confirmed his interview with Akron this week. He said he was unsure if he would have to travel for it.
* Kevin Prince remained with the first-team offense in the team’s first practice back from an extended break. Richard Brehaut was working with the twos but moving better than he has in two months.
* Malcolm Jones seemed to be more involved in the offense that at any point this season, getting a ton of reps with both the first and second teams.
* If today is an indication, it looks like Donovan Carter is up with the first-team defense, along with Datone Jones in the interior.
* Keenan Graham got a lot of time at first-team defensive end with Jones still in the interior, and the rotation of Graham, Iuta Tepa, Damien Holmes and Owa Odighizuwa seems pretty set.
* Simply put, Steven Manfro had a sick, sick cut on a run late in practice.
* Sean Westgate, Alex Mascarenas, Dalton Hilliard all missed practice and their status is unknown for the bowl game.