Check out the latest batch of weekly answers…
1) DG stated when announcing the coaching search that UCLA would be looking to improve the facilities and to make football more of a priority; Jim Mora also said that he wouldn’t have taken the job if UCLA wasn’t “all in” with regards to football. Have you seen any changes yet? What would you expect to see changed in the next year? Five years? – PowderKegBlue
That’s a great question, but difficult to answer. Mora has constantly said that the facilities were “not that bad,” but some of them are, at least compared to some of the facilities in the Pac-12. It’s pretty easy to sway a 17-year-old kid with a nice lounge and cool gloves. I would expect at least some improvements to Spaulding Field, but I still think they should just use Drake Stadium. It’s a nice field.
2) At a recent holiday party, I couldn’t remember why I gave a shitake mushroom about Ucla football. Can you help me out? – localbruin
Being true to your school, and whatnot? I don’t know what to tell you brother. I’ll just say that a change was made for a reason, and every indication so far has that change being in a positive direction. From my vantage point, there has been better strategical decisions in terms of coaching hires, announcements and buzz, and the recruiting has started off well for Mora.
3) What’s the deal with Mazzone? The news sources seem to agree he’s coming to Westwood, but I haven’t seen anything said by UCLA/Mora or by him to indicate this. – anonymous
It’s as official as it can be without it being official. There is a method to their madness.
4) Do you think our players have their heads in the game for the bowl game? It seems like everyone (fans especially) are just talking about Mora, and next year, but no one seems focused on the game that’s happening in less than two weeks. – anonymous
This is what happens during a coaching search. When there are practices, I either do a daily feature or whatever’s relevant for the day. If something with the new staff takes precedence, it’s just the way it is. So that’s why players are talking less – because we’re asking fewer questions related to the game.
5) Can you give us more details on Dietrich Riley’s injury. It seems more severe than a “stinger”. – Spencer
They’ve been very, very quiet about the exact nature of the injury, but it was pretty scary. A fraction of an inch one way or the other, and some bad, bad stuff might’ve happened.