Check out the latest batch of weekly answers…
1) Is Howland stumbling the way Toledo and Neu did — giving preferential treatment to certain players and keeping more deserving athletes on the bench? – Amillennialist
It’s hard to compare football playing time and basketball playing time, but I will say I’ve been very confused by Howland’s rotation this season. I understand easing Norman Powell into his minutes, and he’s been playing more lately, but UCLA’s fatigue at the end of games has been a key factor, and we’ve seen them leave guys completely fresh on the bench for an entire game.
2) I keep hearing Howland is safe because they have such a “great” recruiting class coming in. Isn’t it true that as of today they have only two committed players one of whom may be a one and done? If so if they don’t get any of the other players they are after will it still be considered a “great” recruiting class? – MoeBruins
Kyle Anderson and Jordan Adams alone make it a great recruiting class. Anderson is one of the five best players in the country, regardless of position, and Adams is an adept scorer. If Howland gets the two players he really covets – Shabazz Muhammad and Tony Parker – then it becomes the consensus top class in the country and one of the best in the west in recent years.
3) Jon kind of the opposite of Blur’s comments. To me at least from reading tweets it sounds like the players are having plenty of fun. My question is do any of them really care that the team is bad? I don’t see the heart that was a key ingrediant in Howland’s recruits in his early years. – MoeBruins
It’s too easy to just read into things like that and make definitive statements, but everything is shades of gray. Yes, it appears the team has more heart when its going to Final Fours. The talent was also much, much better.
4) UCLA alum comes up to and asks you your opinion about purchasing season tickets. Your advice buy, sell or wait and see if Mora lives up to the hype? – MoeBruins
Wait and see. I can understand a lot of skepticism based on the on-field product the last few years. One thing if they simply played poorly, but sloppy and boring is another thing.
5) Mazzone is working out Tebow and other pro players.Does this affect the eligibility of current players if they work out with them? – bibs
Without Mazzone there it’s fine, but Mazzone can’t coach current players until Spring ball.