* UCLA’s Tuesday practice didn’t seem to have the tempo or intensity of the past couple weeks, but that appeared to be by design. A lot of instruction and coaching going on with a lot of team drills, and the coaches seemed to be relatively pleased with the results.
* Mora said the team is scrimmaging on Saturday.
* With Jake Brendel and Tre Hale struggling with the snaps, Jeff Baca got more time at center on Tuesday. Baca is such a steady presence at this point that Adrian Klemm already knows he can be a temporary fix without setting anything back. Of course, Greg Capella’s return is paramount, but Klemm also really lauded incoming freshman Carl Hulick.
* Torian White saw a lot of time at right tackle with the ones and looked pretty good doing it. He is not ready physically, but he has a ton of potential. If he is ready to contribute by fall, that’s a big coup for Adrian Klemm.
* Good overall performance by the running back crew on Tuesday, particularly on a three-play stretch during team drills featuring live tackling. On three consecutive plays, Jordon James, Steven Manfro and Dalton Hilliard had nice touchdown runs, either trucking or juking defenders.
* Nothing particularly significant on the quarterback front. Still too close to call, and the reps reflect that. Saturday’s scrimmage will be a good indication of the next couple weeks.
* Linebacker Eric Kendricks is having a nice spring and had a big interception during drills. His continuing progress in coverage is going to pay big dividends.
* Bumps and Bruises:
Senior wide receiver Jerry Johnson (quad) and junior Damien Thigpen joined an ever-growing cast of injured players, which numbers over 20. … Junior cornerback Brandon Sermons practiced on Tuesday with his hand wrapped in a cast. … Senior cornerback Aaron Hester practiced in a red jersey after suffering concussion-like symptoms.