Some of the more relative notes from today:
* UCLA head coach Jim Mora said incoming freshman defensive lineman Ellis McCarthy has had a knee issue flare up and he required arthroscopic surgery on his left meniscus on Friday. Mora said he’d miss the first part of training camp, give or take a couple weeks.
* The Bruins are going after some Penn State players, though Mora could not name specifics. Some Nittany Lions have reached out with interested in UCLA. As this is a very fluid situation, Mora said he’s not sure what the timeline on any movement could be.
* Mora said that linebacker Mike Orloff (knee) has taken a medical retirement and confirmed that Wesley Flowers, Joe Roberts, Jared Koster and Anthony Thompson were no longer with the program. He also confirmed the grayshirts of both Lacy Westbrook – who, by the way, is out of the hospital and recovering from a recent health scare – and Eli Ankou.
* I asked Mora about the quarterback situation, does he know the guy and just needs to be convinced or he still needs to see more from all of them, and he answered pretty specifically that it’s more A than B. He has his guy.
* Also, Mora made it pretty clear that Dietrich Riley would not be returning this year, despite recent positive Tweets.
* Player movement notes: Dalton Hilliard is on defense and appears to be staying there, as does Anthony Barr, though Mora wants to see a lot from him.