– According to UCLA head coach Jim Mora, nothing about Cal quarterback Jared Goff’s film makes him look like a true freshman.
“His poise for his age and his experience (stand out),” Mora said. “His ability to get the ball out of his hand quickly and throw accurately. His decision-making. I think he’s a really good football player.”
– Defensive end Ellis McCarthy returned to practice after suffering a head injury against Utah last Thursday. He did light work on the sideline and is still doubtful to play Saturday.
– Paul Perkins will officially start in place of running back Jordon James. Mora described both as “slashing-type runners in between the tackles.”
“Paul’s a little bit more one-cut, downhill,” he added. “A little less the open-field wiggle. Paul’s about putting his shoulder down and getting the extra yards.”
– Cornerback Marcus Rios is still working his way back slowly after battling a life-threatening fungal infection. “He’s anxious to get back out here and play, but the first thing he has to do is get out here and just practice,” Mora said. “Make it through a normal practice without having any setbacks. … The most important thing here is his health.”
– Mora pointed out receiver Eldridge Massington, quarterback Asiantii Woulard, running back Craig Lee as players who have impressed him on the scout team. All three freshmen are redshirting this season.