– Three redshirt juniors will be honored with UCLA seniors at halftime against Arizona State this Saturday: fullback Luke Gane, offensive/defensive lineman Brandon Willis and linebacker Aramide Olaniyan. The trio will graduate and leave the team after this season.
“We’ll miss them,” coach Jim Mora said. “They’ve been great contributors and great guys.”
– Mora said safety Tahaan Goodman has improved over the past few weeks. The true freshman has played mostly on special teams this season, but forced a fumble on his first play against Washington last weekend, subbing in for injured starter Randall Goforth.
“If we can find ways to get him on the field and increase his reps, then we want to do that,” Mora said. “But there has to be reasons to put him out there. There was a reason the other day when Randall got his knee banged up.”
– Mora, on ASU’s offense: “Their players fit their style. That’s one of the things their coach has done a great job of, is marrying their talent to their scheme.”
– On running back Paul Perkins, who has carried the ball 62 times in his last four games: “I don’t think he’s yet physically mature enough to be the guy that carries it 25 or 28 times a game. … He’s going to add muscle, he’s going to add endurance, and he’s going to be that kind of guy. For a redshirt freshman, playing in his first year, I’ve been impressed.”
– Receiver Brendan Cross left Tuesday’s practice on crutches. The former quarterback transferred to UCLA after graduating from Wake Forest, but has not
seen the field this caught a ball this season. His father is Randy Cross, a former Bruin offensive lineman and College Football Hall of Famer.
– Receiver Devin Fuller was dressed and practiced in full after suffering an undisclosed injury against Washington.