– Bowl practices have become almost like an extra training camp, which helps an offensive line that has been juggled around through the season. Individual sessions have been bumped up from 10 minutes to about 30 minutes per practice.
– Judging from what offensive line coach Adrian Klemm said Friday, junior guard Xavier Su’a-Filo could likely be on an NFL roster this time next year. The All-American is still waiting for his evaluation to come back from the NFL draft advisory board to help him decide whether or not to declare early.
“He knows what I think about it,” the assistant coach said. “You come here to have success after you’re done here. If that’s one year earlier, he needs to go ahead and do that. I don’t want to hold him back from it. I want to see him do well. …
“There’s not much more he can accomplish in terms of accolades. He can sharpen up some things, but if he comes out and he’s the first or second guard taken, I think it’s a no-brainer.”
Su’a-Filo — who turns 23 years old in less than two weeks — could return to slim down and get stronger, but Klemm pointed out that the guard could potentially achieve even better results with an NFL training and nutrition program.
– True freshman Scott Quessenberry could very well remain the starting left guard if Su’a-Filo leaves for the NFL, but Klemm wants to have him compete at center too. The incumbent starter there is redshirt sophomore Jake Brendel, an All-Pac-12 honorable mention.
– Klemm talked about his own decision to stay at UCLA after a strong push by USC coach Steve Sarkisian. He said the factors that compelled him to stick around were working for Jim Mora, a familiar environment he felt comfortable in, and the young players he had helped recruit.
“Sometimes, there are things more important than money,” he said.
– Klemm vaguely addressed the status of suspended tackle Torian White, who was arrested on suspicion of felony sexual assault in November: “That’s something that, from a legal standpoint, has already been cleared outside of here. Just in the UC system, you’ve got to go through some things to get it to move forward.”
No charges have been filed, and the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office said the case remains under investigation. The DA requested further investigation by UCLA PD shortly after White’s arrest and release.