– Offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone talked more about quarterback Brett Hundley’s development over the past few months. Mazzone said Hundley is familiar enough with the playbook that he sometimes looks away from the sideline after just one hand signal.
– UCLA continues to run a lot of nickel defense, with safety Tahaan Goodman usually coming in as the fifth defensive back. The former four-star recruit played mostly special teams as a true freshman last season, and ended up with 12 tackles and two pass breakups.
When he gets on the field, rising senior Anthony Jefferson slides down to cornerback.
– A few scuffles broke out during Thursday’s practice, spurred by clashes between cornerback Adarius Pickett and receiver Logan Sweet; guard Scott Quessenberry and defensive lineman Ellis McCarthy; and guard NaJee Toran and nose tackle Kenny Clark.
This happens through the course of any spring/fall camp, but two practices in is a little early for players to be getting chippy.
– Offensive lineman Malcolm Bunche again did not participate. The 6-foot-7 graduate transfer from Miami is still working through admissions, though coaches said they expect him to be eligible sometime soon.
– Neglected to mention this earlier this week, but Kevin McReynolds has switched back to defensive line. The junior converted to offensive guard when Jim Mora’s staff arrived, but missed most of last season after suffering a concussion in August.
– Running back Ryan Davis injured his left leg during the second half of Thursday’s practice and left on crutches.
– Incoming freshmen Jaleel Wadood and Cameron Griffin visited Spaulding Field and watched practice from the sidelines. Four-star 2016 quarterback Malik Henry was also present.
– Linebacker Aaron Wallace and fullback Aaron Porter are not enrolled at UCLA this quarter.