The UCLA football team closes its spring camp with the Spring Showcase on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. at Drake Stadium. Unlike many other college programs, the Bruins will not have a full contact scrimmage, but Mora made a surprise media appearance after practice Thursday to express excitement about the opportunities that come with having the Spring Showcase on campus.
“To get recruits on campus to see the type of progress we’re making (on the football facility) is an immense, immense, immense advantage for us that we don’t get even when we go out to the Rose Bowl,” Mora said. “Everybody knows how beautiful the Rose Bowl is and what a great thing it is to play there on Saturdays, but not everybody knows how wonderful this campus is.”
Mora said the UCLA will have a de facto Junior Day for recruits, hosting campus tours and showing recruits the progress being made on the Wasserman Football Facility, which is set to open by the end of summer 2017. A relative newcomer to college athletics, Mora said he’s found that the increased focus on facilities has become “an arms race.”
“It’s something you’ve gotta do,” Mora said. “We’re not trying to just keep up with Joneses. To me, what we’re trying to do here … it’s not keeping ahead of the Joneses, it’s jumping way ahead of the Joneses.”
Spring Showcase information:
- $10 advanced sale tickets (buy online here), $15 day of event
- Kids 2 years old and under get in free
- The first 1,000 UCLA students with their Bruin Cards get in free
- Parking is $12 a car
- Gates open at 10:30 a.m. Enter Drake Stadium at the upper entrance off Bruin Walk.
- The Fan Zone on the top concourse of Drake Stadium opens at 10:30 a.m. and will have activities, concessions and giveaways.
- Players will be signing autographs after the event on the field.
- More Spring Showcase information online here.
Links from practice yesterday: