- Men’s tennis is Sweet 16 bound as the Bruins cruised to two NCAA wins at home. The Bruins swept Weber State 4-0 in the first round, then did the same to San Diego in the second. The team faces Stanford in the Sweet 16 in Tulsa, Okla., at 5 p.m. on Friday.
UCLA advances to the Sweet 16 with a 4-0 victory over USD!! Staggs with the clinch (again) pic.twitter.com/8UOhKadj3W
— UCLA Men’s Tennis (@uclatennis) May 14, 2016
- In track and field, Nicholas Scarvelis won two Pac-12 championships, capturing the shotput and the discus titles. He is the first Bruin since Dan Ames in 2004 to win both in the same conference championships. In the women’s long jump, Kylie Price recorded a 21-foot, 0.5-inch jump to win the conference championship. The men’s team finished third and the women’s team finished fifth.
- Women’s water polo finished third at the NCAA tournament, losing to Stanford 7-4 in the semifinal, then outlasting Michigan 5-4 in the third-place game. Mackenzie Barr was named first-team all-tournament.
— UCLA Water Polo (@UCLAWaterPolo) May 15, 2016
- Baseball got shutout of the series rubber match against USC on Sunday, losing the game 9-0 to drop the three-game series. The Bruins lost Friday, 5-3, then came back to win 4-3 on Saturday.
- Women’s tennis lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament 4-1 to Ohio State after a first-round win over Notre Dame by the same score.
- Women’s rowing finished sixth at the Pac-12 championships. California led the seven-team field, followed by Stanford, then Washington.
- Softball will host the L.A. Regional at Easton Stadium this weekend after earning the No. 12 seed in the NCAA tournament. The Bruins face CSU Bakersfield on Friday at 6 p.m. to start postseason play. Fresno State and Cal State Fullerton are the other teams in the L.A. Regional.