UCLA gymnastics scored another perfect 10, its fourth this season, as the Bruins won their dual meet against California on Sunday, 197.525-196.800.
Sophomore Katelyn Ohashi won beam while earning her first career 10.0 and also won the floor title with a near-perfect 9.925. UCLA tied its season-high on beam with a 49.55, paced by Ohashi’s perfect score.
Senior Peng-Peng Lee and freshman Kyla Ross shared the bars title with matching 9.975 scores. Ross also won vault with a score of 9.875.
Elsewhere in UCLA athletics:
- No. 1-seed Oregon State knocked the UCLA women’s basketball team out of the Pac-12 tournament on Saturday in the semifinals 63-53. Despite a three-point lead going into halftime, the Bruins (23-8) mustered only eight points in the third quarter and were outscored in the second half 36-23. Junior point guard Jordin Canada played all 40 minutes and led the Bruins with 27 points, but UCLA couldn’t find a reliable second scorer. Monique Billings, the team’s second-leading scorer, struggled in the loss, shooting 3 for 14 for only six points and eight rebounds. UCLA beat Arizona State 77-68 in the quarterfinals on Friday.
- Beach volleyball went 2-2 on its season-opening weekend, winning against Cal State Bakersfield and Cal Poly on Thursday, but dropping close 3-2 matches to Pepperdine and USC on Saturday.
- Baseball lost two extra-inning games in the Dodger Stadium College Baseball Classic, losing in 12 to San Diego on Saturday 3-1, then going down in 10 to USC on Sunday 4-3. Despite the loss on Sunday, head coach John Savage praised the performance of starting pitcher Jon Olsen, who set a career-high in strikeouts with nine in 5 2/3 innings: “He arrived tonight,” the coach said. UCLA’s only win of the weekend came against Michigan on Friday, a 1-0 pitchers’ duel in which Griffin Canning threw a career-high 12 strikeouts in 8 shutout innings.
- Softball went 3-2 at the Judi Garman Classic. The No. 7 Bruins (16-5) started the tournament with a 4-0 victory over No. 14 Michigan, but came up short against No. 1 Florida 9-4 and No. 22 Baylor 11-6. Delaney Spaulding had five combined RBIs during the tournament while hitting three home runs. UCLA also got wins over Cal State Fullerton and South Carolina.
- Women’s water polo opened MPSF play with a resounding 24-2 win over No. 10 San Jose State on Saturday. Maddie Musselman and Alexa Tielmann led the No. 3 Bruins (12-1, 1-0 MPSF) with four goals each.
- Women’s tennis lost its nonconference season finale, falling 4-3 to No. 13 Baylor on the road on Saturday. The Bruins (6-4) start conference play against Stanford on Friday.