UCLA linebacker Kenny Young added a second watch list honor to his preseason resume Monday as the senior was named to the watch list for the Butkus Award, which honors the nation’s top linebacker.
The middle linebacker earned second-team All-Pac-12 recognition last year. His 90 total tackles were second on the team, and he added 8.5 tackles for loss, five sacks, one interception and three fumble recoveries. He ranked sixth in the Pac-12 with 7.5 tackles per game.
Former UCLA linebacker Eric Kendricks is UCLA’s only Butkus Award winner. The current Minnesota Viking claimed the trophy in 2014 after leading the nation in solo tackles per game with 7.8.
A list of the Bruins included on watch lists so far:
- Josh Rosen (Maxwell — best college player)
- Kenny Young (Bednarik — best defensive player, Butkus — best linebacker )
- Scott Quessenberry (Rimington — best center; Outland — best interior lineman)
- Austin Roberts (Mackey — best tight end)
- Jaleel Wadood (Thorpe — best defensive back)