UCLA’s Josh Rosen is one of four Pac-12 quarterbacks named to the watch list for the Davey O’Brien Award, which honors the nation’s top quarterback.
The SEC had the most nominations for a single conference with six, and the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 each had four on the 30-man watch list. USC’s Sam Darnold, Washington’s Jake Browning and Washington State’s Luke Falk were also named to this year’s watch list.
Before a shoulder injury derailed his sophomore season, Rosen was the first true freshman to be named a semifinalist for the O’Brien Award since USC’s Matt Barkley in 2009. Troy Aikman won UCLA’s only O’Brien Award in 1988.
A list of the Bruins included on watch lists so far:
- Josh Rosen (Maxwell — best college playerl O’Brien — best quarterback)
- Kenny Young (Bednarik — best defensive player; Butkus — best linebacker; Wuerffel — best community servant)
- Scott Quessenberry (Rimington — best center; Outland — best interior lineman)
- Austin Roberts (Mackey — best tight end)
- Jaleel Wadood (Thorpe — best defensive back)
- SCNG columnist Mark Whicker on UCLA’s legendary track and field coach Jim Bush, who passed away last week at the age of 90.
- Former UCLA defensive end Takkarist McKinley‘s new No. 98 Falcons jersey is the eighth most-popular among NFL rookies
- Former UCLA linebacker Eric Kendricks ranks his top five linebackers on the rise and three of his players are former Bruins.
- The New York Times writes about Lonzo Ball‘s Summer League success
- CBS Sports has Bovada’s list of over-under lines for all 130 FBS teams with UCLA’s line set at 6.5 wins.
- UCLA’s new football uniforms are a favorite at NCAA.com