Former UCLA defensive lineman Manu Tuiasosopo is one of 18 finalists for the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame Class of 2018, the organization announced Thursday.
Tuiasosopo was a first-round draft pick out of UCLA in 1979 and spent five years with the Seattle Seahawks and three with the San Francisco 49ers, which included a Super Bowl victory in 1985.
As a Bruin, he was a second-team All-American in 1977 and 1978. He ranks 15th on UCLA’s career tackle list with 292 and 13th in career sacks with 17.
Of the 18 finalists (15 players and three coaches/contributors), four players and one coach/contributor will be inducted into the Polynesian Hall of Fame. The inductees will be announced on Oct. 20, 2017 and honored in an enshrinement ceremony at the Polynesian Bowl on Jan. 19 and 20, 2018.
Tuiasosopo’s son and former UCLA assistant coach Marques Tuiasosopo is also among the player finalists. He was a graduate assistant with the Bruins in 2011 and the tight ends coach in 2012 before returning in 2016 for a year as the quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator. He is now the quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator at Cal.
CLASS OF 2018 PLAYER FINALISTS
- Tony Banks (QB) Michigan State, Pro: NFL (STL, BAL, DAL, WAS, HOU) 9 years, Samoan ancestry
- Herman “Buddy” Pi`ikei Clark (OL) Oregon State, Pro: NFL (CHI) 4 years, Hawaiian ancestry
- David Dixon (G) Arizona State, Pro: (MIN) 13 years, Maori ancestry
- Malcom Floyd (WR) Wyoming; Pro (SAN) 10 years, Samoan ancestry
- Chris Kemoeatu (G) Utah; Pro (PIT) 7 years, Tongan ancestry
- Ma’ake Tu`amelie Kemoeatu (DT) Utah, Pro: NFL (BAL, CAR, WAS) 9 years, Tongan ancestry
- Alapati “Al” Noga (DL) Hawai’i, Pro: NFL (MIN, WAS, IND) 7 years, Samoan ancestry
- Falaniko “Niko” Noga (LB) Hawai’i, Pro: NFL (AZ, DET) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
- Joe Fagaone Salave’a (DL) Arizona, Pro: NFL (TEN, BAL, SD, WAS) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
- Dan Saleaumua (DT) Arizona State, Pro: NFL (DET, KC, SEA) 12 years, Samoan ancestry
- Mosiula Mea’alofa “Lofa” Tatupu (LB) USC, Pro: NFL (SEA) 6 years, Samoan ancestry
- Apisaloma “Pisa” Tinoisamoa (LB) Hawai`i; Pro (STL, CHI) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
- Manu’ula “Manu” Asovalu Tuiasosopo (DL) UCLA, Pro: NFL (SEA, SF) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
- Marques Tavita Tuiasosopo (QB) Washington, Pro: NFL (OAK, NYJ) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
- Kimo von Oelhoffen (DL) Boise State, Pro: NFL (CIN, PIT, NYJ, PHI) 14 years, Hawaiian ancestry
CLASS OF 2018 COACH & CONTRIBUTOR FINALISTS
- Bob Apisa (FB/HB) Michigan State, First Samoan named as an All-American, Samoan ancestry
- Thomas Ka’auwai Ka’ulukukui, Former Head Football Coach at University of Hawai’i, Hawaiian ancestry
- Charlie Wedemeyer, Former Head Football Coach, Los Gatos High School (CA), Hawaiian ancestry