Where will UCLA’s Kevon Looney be picked in the NBA draft?

Kevon Looney is among the 19 players who accepted invites to Thursday’s NBA draft. How long will his green-room wait last?

Once considered a near-certain lottery pick, many mock drafts have since dropped the former UCLA forward to borderline top-20 status.

Pac-12 Networks analyst Don MacLean, a former Bruin, isn’t among the detractors.

“Ten years from now, I think Kevon Looney may be the best player from this year’s draft coming out of the Pac-12,” MacLean said. “I really like him. You just don’t see guys with the length, the rebounding, the instincts. … The way he was used at UCLA, you didn’t see the entire package.”

MacLean’s projection is optimistic, but not all that outlandish. After all, the only other Pac-12 product with lottery potential is Arizona’s Stanley Johnson — a strong defender who likely won’t turn into an elite scorer.

But many questions surround Looney’s draft stock as well, some of them not helped by the Bruins’ game plan. Continue reading

Share this post:Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someonePrint this page

P. Diddy arrested at UCLA after fight with assistant football coach

UPDATE: UCPD has updated Sean Combs’ charges to three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, one count of making terrorist threats and one count of battery. He posted bail, and has a court date scheduled for July 13.

***

Sean “Diddy” Combs was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon at UCLA on Monday afternoon.

According to TMZ, the hip hop mogul — formerly known as both Puff Daddy and P. Diddy — was taken in after assaulting strength coach Sal Alosi. The fight was reportedly sparked because Alosi was yelling at Diddy’s son, cornerback Justin Combs, during a strength and conditioning session.

Diddy later confronted Alosi and grabbed him in his office inside the UCLA athletic facility. In a press release, the university stated that Diddy’s weapon was a kettlebell.

No one was seriously injured.

Continue reading

Share this post:Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someonePrint this page

Five-star running back Soso Jamabo enrolls at UCLA

Five-star running back Soso Jamabo has enrolled as a Bruin, according to the UCLA Registrar’s Office.

One of the top recruits in the class of 2015, the Dallas-area native had been arrested on April 19 in Kemp, Texas, for fleeing the police in a vehicle. Head coach Jim Mora had declined to comment on Jamabo’s status back then, saying that he didn’t have all the necessary information.

However, Mora also vouched for the teenager’s character during an appearance on the Rich Eisen Show on April 27. Continue reading

Share this post:Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someonePrint this page

UCLA reinstates Adrian Klemm after three-month suspension

UCLA reinstated offensive line coach Adrian Klemm on Friday, returning him to full duties after a three-month suspension.

Klemm, one of the team’s top recruiters, had been suspended with pay on March 16 due to allegations of NCAA rules violations. A school spokesperson said that the Bruins are still working with the NCAA “to complete the review of the matters surrounding Klemm’s suspension.”

Without Klemm for all of spring camp, UCLA turned to graduate assistants Blake Bentz and Dave Marsh — as well as senior center Jake Brendel — to fill the void.

The Bruins currently have the No. 11 recruiting class in 2016 according to Rivals.com, but do not yet have a verbal commitment from any offensive linemen. The team is hosting its “Elite Big Man Camp” for offensive and defensive linemen on June 26.

Share this post:Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someonePrint this page

UCLA to study concussions with new football helmet sensors

Nearly two dozen UCLA football players have been given new helmets with sensors, part of a $30 million study into concussions.

Funded by an initiative involving both the NCAA and the U.S. Department of Defense, the use of the helmets are part of a three-year study that also includes other universities across the country. The 22 Bruins who have the helmets will be tracked for the speed, intensity and location of the hits they take during practices and games.

“Our goal is to develop scientific, evidence-based tools that will enable doctors to more accurately gauge when it is safe for an athlete to return to play,” Christopher Giza, director of the UCLA Steve Tisch BrainSPORT Program, said in a statement.

The football players, as well as members of the men’s and women’s soccer team, had already begun baseline testing to measure balance, memory, cognitive function, and reaction time.

John DiFiori, UCLA athletic’s head physician, said the findings will help identify and prevent brain injuries in athletes who may be more susceptible to them.

Share this post:Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someonePrint this page