Head coach Jim Mora talks about facing Khalil Tate, why he thinks UCLA can still turn the season around and UCLA’s two main struggles against Arizona (turnovers and tackling).
Arizona’s Khalil Tate set an NCAA record in rushing yards for a quarterback last weekend. UCLA’s Josh Rosen leads the country in passing. Which quarterback’s style will steal the show Saturday at Arizona Stadium at 6 p.m.?
The Bruins (3-2, 1-1 Pac-12) are coming off a bye week while the Wildcats (3-2, 1-1 Pac-12) just got their first Pac-12 road win since 2015. Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez is looking for his first win over UCLA during his tenure after five straight losses to Jim Mora.
Saturday’s game is on Pac-12 Networks with the radio broadcast on AM 1150 or AM 570.
Pregame reading links:
- Two Southern California signal-callers from opposite schools of quarterbacking will take center stage Saturday night
- Scouting report with injury updates and my prediction
- Pregame graph: UCLA’s third-down go-to guys
- From earlier this week:
- The Bruins should be well-rested Saturday night
- The defense tied to prepare for both Tate and Brandon Dawkins
- Darnay Holmes and Darick Holmes Jr. make Saturday’s game a family affair
- Updates on Theo Howard, Mique Juarez and Jordan Lasley
- Answers to the weekly Q&A
- “Solid” but not great: Linebackers trying to gain momentum
- On Arizona:
- Not game-related but noteworthy: Jedd Fisch‘s name pops up in Bruce Feldman’s story on the Oregon State head-coaching vacancy
Soso Jamabo called his 7-yard run on third-and-6 with 2:37 left against Colorado “the biggest play of the season.” It allowed UCLA to extend a critical drive in a tight game and whittle down the clock en route to an important conference win.
One of the biggest improvements in UCLA’s offense this year is its third-down conversion rate. Last year, the Bruins ranked last in the conference at 35.2 percent. After five games under offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch, UCLA is tied with Arizona for third in the Pac-12 at 47.1 percent (33 of 70). Only Washington and Washington State are better.
Here’s a look at UCLA’s third-down performance this season, broken down by player and play type (rushing or passing): Continue reading “Pregame graph: Who are UCLA’s go-to third-down options?” »
UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero will serve on a new Pac-12 task force intended to address issues “threatening the integrity of collegiate athletics,” conference commissioner Larry Scott announced Thursday.
The task force was formed in the wake of the ongoing FBI investigation into corruption in college basketball recruiting and will supplement the NCAA’s Commission on College Basketball, which was announced Wednesday.
“Our task force is going to look at the issues raised by the FBI investigation and do deep dives into the culture and issues around recruitment and men’s college basketball,” Scott said at Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Media Day in San Francisco. Continue reading “UCLA AD Dan Guerrero to serve on new Pac-12 task force” »