The UCLA softball team went undefeated at the NCAA Los Angeles Regional this past weekend to advance to the Super Regional. After a regional-championship-clinching victory over Cal State Fullerton on Sunday, the Bruins advanced to play Oregon in Eugene, Ore., in a three-game series that starts Saturday.
Other happenings around UCLA athletics
- Men’s tennis is Sweet 16 bound as the Bruins cruised to two NCAA wins at home. The Bruins swept Weber State 4-0 in the first round, then did the same to San Diego in the second. The team faces Stanford in the Sweet 16 in Tulsa, Okla., at 5 p.m. on Friday.
Continue reading “UCLA weekend wrap-up: Men’s tennis advances to Sweet 16” »
Mackenzie Barr leads the UCLA women’s water polo in its bid for a national championship this weekend at home. (Photo courtesy UCLA Athletics)
The women’s water polo team will host the NCAA championships at the Spieker Aquatics Center from Friday to Sunday. The Bruins start the tournament at noon on Friday with a game against UC San Diego.
Here’s our preview of the tournament, focusing on No. 1 USC and No. 2 UCLA and the epic championship matchup that could be on Sunday between the cross-town rivals.
You can watch all the water polo matches online at NCAA.com. Here is the full bracket. Continue reading “Women’s water polo, men’s tennis host NCAA tournaments” »
Here are some highlights for the UCLA sports teams from the past week:
- Women’s golf advanced to the NCAA final on Saturday, while Bronte Law tied for first place individually at the regional.
- Beach volleyball finished as the third team in the nation, losing to Florida State in the final of the consolation bracket at the NCAA championships on Sunday. USC took the inaugural beach volleyball national championship with a 3-1 win over the Seminoles.
- Softball dominated a rain-shortened series with Utah, winning Game 1 15-7 in five innings and winning Game 2 8-0 in six innings before Sunday’s finale was rained out. With a bye next week, the Bruins finish the regular season at 35-13-1 (16-5-1 Pac-12) and await their postseason destination, which will be announced May 15 in the NCAA Selection Show.
- Baseball shook off a Friday loss to UC Irvine to win a three-game series against the Anteaters. The Bruins won 4-1 on Saturday and 5-1 on Sunday to clinch the series. UCLA had a midweek game against Long Beach State on Tuesday and won 11-10.
Here are weekend highlights from the UCLA athletics programs
- Softball swept Arizona State at home, winning the first two games via walk-off home runs. Mysha Sataraka sealed an 8-6 win on Friday with a three-run homer, then Gabrielle Maurice hit another three-run shot to finish a comeback 6-5 win on Saturday. Madeline Jelenicki led the Bruins on Sunday with two home runs and five RBIs in a 9-4 victory.
Continue reading “UCLA weekend wrap-up: Softball sweeps Arizona State” »