Football Notes 08/25/10

Today’s prep football program talks about the new big brother program at El Rancho, La Serna’s focus heading into Saturday’s scrimmage at La Habra and the Del Rio League Coach’s Dinner.

FOOTBALL NOTES: Lots of brotherly love at El Rancho
By Andrew J. Campa, Staff Writer
Posted: 08/24/2010 09:01:57 PM PDT

The El Rancho High School football team has created a unique way to address camaraderie and team building.

Coach Rick Zepeda announced the formation of a big brother program last week that includes players from both the varsity and freshman teams.

“We started the program because I could not believe the football dropout rate we had from freshman year to varsity,” said Zepeda, a St. Paul High alumnus.

“It’s great to have a strong varsity team, but in a couple of years you’re going to need those freshmen to step up and contribute.”

Zepeda will pair a varsity roster of 70 players with a freshman squad of 78 players.

“Everybody is going to get a little brother,” Zepeda said. “This gives the ninth-graders a chance to ask about teachers, academics and football.”

It’s the schooling aspect that appeals most to Zepeda.

“We’ve had our share of academic problems in the past,” Zepeda said. “If everybody shares notes then everybody passes class.”

Zepeda admitted he had wanted to start this program ever since he arrived.

“When I first got here, there were several seniors who were into drinking and drugs and were a huge influence on the underclassmen,” Zepeda said.

“That’s turned around and the credit goes to the seniors who have set a good example.”

Lancers split squad

La Serna coach Margarito Beltran noted he’s planning on playing his first-team offense and defense for about 50 percent of the action in Saturday’s scrimmage at La Habra High at 6 p.m.

“I’m going to give the 1’s two series and the 2’s two series,” Beltran said. “That roughly figures out to about 40 plays for the starting offense and defense.”

Beltran said if there was anytime left he would insert his No. 3 team.

As for specific goals, Beltran isn’t too concerned with winning or losing.

“We define success by going out there and executing well and playing our game,” Beltran said. “This is a scrimmage and not a game.”

The difference from this year to last is that the annual scrimmage was moved up a week to before Week 0 as was allowed for the first time by the CIF-Southern Section office.

“I don’t know if there is an advantage in playing a week earlier,” Beltran said. “Basically, we have an extra week of work to do.

“But hey, if that fires us up and gets us going early, I’m all for that.”

Del Rio League gathering

For those interested in what the Del Rio League coaches are thinking, the Whittier Host Lions Club is hosting the second annual Del Rio League Football Kickoff Dinner on Thursday at the Whittier Radisson Hotel between 5:30-7:30 p.m.

Admission is $25 at the door for the Mexican-style buffet.

As for the events, each of the six DRL coaches will give a team preview and the Lions will release their preseason coaches poll.

For more information, contact Friendly Hills Bank at 562-947-1920.

andrew.campa@sgvn.com
562-698-0955, ext. 3061

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Email