Staff photo by Leo Jarzomb
Each week I will rank all 13 area football teams. Here is this week’s rankings (which include previous rank and record):
1. (2) La Habra (3-3) — The Highlanders move to the top spot, mainly as a result of St. Paul falling to Chaminade, but it’s also tough not to reward a team for a 39-0 victory in which it yielded just three first downs.
2. (1) St. Paul (5-1) – The Swordsmen drop a spot after a 31-6 loss to Chaminade that saw St. Paul gain 295 yards, but get just six points on four trips into the red zone.
3. (4) La Serna (5-1) — The Lancers move up to No. 3 after steamrolling Whittier. This team continues to look like it can win another Del Rio League title.
4. (3) California (5-1) – Cal, which continues to play solid defense, was a bit sluggish in a 17-7 win over Pioneer. It will need to be more fine-tuned against preseason league favorite Santa Fe this week.
5. (6) La Mirada (3-4) — Back-to-back routs have the Mats back in the top five. Truthfully, this is a team that has played better than its record, with two of the losses coming to the top two teams in the area. All four losses have come to teams ranked in their respective divisions.
Others: 6. (8) Whittier Christian (4-3); 7. (9) Santa Fe (2-4); 8. (7) El Rancho (4-2); 9. (5) Cantwell (3-3); 10. (13) Schurr (1-5); 11. (10) Montebello (3-3); 12. (11) Whittier (3-3);
13. (12) Pioneer (0-6).