High School Girls Basketball: Schurr holds off Baldwin Park in opener

By John Sherrard, Correspondent

MONTEBELLO – It might only have been an early season game, but the Baldwin Park High and Schurr High girls basketball teams battled like it was the postseason Tuesday night.Schurr, behind a game-high 14 points from junior guard Elizabeth Castillo, defeated the visiting Braves 45-39 in a season-opening nonleague game for both teams.Baldwin Park was led by the duo of senior center Tiffany Rojas and junior guard Seriah Escobedo, with 12 and 11 points, respectively.

“This was a good preseason game for us, without a doubt,” Schurr coach Paul Chavez said. “It’s definitely the type of scenario (a tight game) we want to put ourselves in early and see how we fare in terms of taking care of the basketball.”

For the second consecutive year, Schurr beat Baldwin Park, but this year’s result was a much different game.

The Spartans defeated Baldwin Park by 31 points in 2011, but the Braves came out of the gate fast Tuesday and gave Schurr everything it could handle.

Unfortunately for Baldwin Park, it failed to convert at the free-throw line late in the game and that was the difference.

Baldwin Park entered the fourth quarter trailing 33-30, but was only 3 of 13 from the line down the stretch.

“We missed eight in a row (free throws) in the fourth quarter and once we started missing, mentally they shut down,” fourth-year Baldwin Park coach Raquel Viramontes said.

Read more:  High School Girls Basketball: Schurr holds off Baldwin Park in opener

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Email