High School Boys Basketball: California lines up Los Altos in victory

California’s Jake Mata, right, loses the ball in a collision with Los Altos’ Christian Espinoza during Thursday’s game in the Covina Christmas Tournament. California won, 69-53. (Keith Durflinger / Staff Photographer)

By John Sherrard, Correspondent

COVINA – You can always go home.

And that’s exactly where California head coach Jason Van Duyne went Thursday night in a quarterfinal game of the 59th annual Covina High School Christmas Tournament.

Van Duyne, who played basketball at Covina, watched his team defeat Los Altos, 69-53, in a game featuring two different halves.

After holding a 27-26 lead after two quarters the Condors pulled away, particularly at the free-throw line, and cruised to their ninth victory of the season against four losses.

Los Altos fell to 7-4.

California was a perfect 9 for 9 in the third quarter and 7 of 9 in the fourth quarter on free throws.

The Condors will play Damien, a 77-74 overtime winner over Northview, tonight at 7 p.m. in the championship semifinals.

In the other semifinal game, Rowland, a 66-29 winner over Bishop Amat, will play the winner of the Covina/La Salle game tonight at 8:30.

“I went to Covina High School in the mid 90s and played varsity basketball with (Covina coach) Willie Bissman,” Van Duyne said.

“So to come back here in this tournament and be successful really is important to me.”

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Email