High School Wrestling Notebook: Host Schurr cleans up at Almont League finals

By Eric Terrazas, Staff Writer

Schurr High School’s wrestling team turned in a stellar showing in Saturday’s Almont League finals.

The host Spartans, who won the league dual meet crown with a 5-0 record, had seven league champions Saturday, inclkuding Ruben Guzman (113 pounds), Adam Duarte (120), Eddie Guerra (126), Max Velez (132), Alex Chavez (138), Alan Caldera (152) and Ashton Heacock (195).

Chris Luengas (113), Josue Perez (138), Pedro Munoz (145) and Tigran Melkonian (152) emerged with second-place finishes for Schurr, which qualified all 14 of its wrestlers for the CIF-Southern Section Coastal Division Prelims on Feb. 15-16 at Westminster High.

“It was a good day for us,” Schurr coach Jay Valencia said. “We did really well. In three of the weight classes, both of our guys made the final. It’s good to have two guys in the finals.”

Not all of Schurr’s second-place finishers qualified for the prelims, however.

“Only your top wrestler in each weight class can make CIF,” Valencia said.

The Spartans now will focus on Saturday’s CIF-SS Division 5 dual meet tournament at Glenn High in Norwalk. Schurr was ranked No. 5 in the Division 5 midseason poll.

“I want to congratulate all my guys on a great performance,” Valencia said. “We are performing at a high level. Hopefully, we can continue that going into the (CIF) prelims in two weeks and in the dual meet tournament (this week).”

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Email