High School Notebook: Whittier Christian athletes pick colleges

Whittier Christian High seniors from left: Shawn Murphy (Trinity International University), Elizabeth Grant (University of San Diego) and Cody Bronkar (Air Force Academy) sign their national letters of intent at the La Habra campus on Feb. 12. (SGVN/Staff photo by Leo Jarzomb)

La Habra High School cross country runner Sarah Pfaff shows the letter of intent she signed to attend Biola University with, from left, her parents Sally and Geoff Pfaff and Principal Karl Zener at La Habra High School in La Habra on Feb. 8. (SGVN/Staff Photo by Keith Durflinger)

By Eric Terrazas, Staff Writer

Three Whittier Christian High School athletes made their college choices on Tuesday.

Football players Cody Bronkar and Shawn Murphy, along with volleyball player Elizabeth Grant, each signed a letter of intent during a ceremony held at the school’s gymnasium in front of family, friends and school officials.

Bronkar, who was a standout wide receiver for the Heralds, signed with the Air Force Academy.

“I chose Air Force because I knew I’m not going to play football forever,” said Bronkar, who recently earned Daily News first-team all-area honors. “I decided to make a career choice that will set me up for life and that will help me become a man and a leader this society calls for.

“They have a great coaching staff there and they made me feel at home. Their facilities are state-of-the-art and the campus is absolutely beautiful. It just felt right going there.”

Murphy, who was an offensive and defensive lineman and served as the Heralds’ long snapper, selected Trinity International University, in Deerfield, Ill.

“I like the education there,” Murphy said. “They have my major (pre-physician assistant). The area was super nice. The professors were awesome. I feel like I will succeed at the school.”

Grant, who played volleyball at Whittier Christian, signed a rowing scholarship with the University of San Diego.

Read more:  High School Notebook: Whittier Christian athletes pick colleges

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Email