High School Boys Soccer: La Habra edged out of playoffs

By John Sherrard, Correspondent

LA HABRA – No one in the large turnout of partisan fans can say that the La Habra High School boys soccer team didn’t leave everything out on the field in the last few minutes of Friday’s CIF-Southern Section Division 2 first-round playoff loss.

A flurry of shots by a host of La Habra players couldn’t find the back of the net to tie the game and the Highlanders fell to visiting Lynwood, 2-1.

One shot in particular by Highlanders senior forward Sammy Lopez brought the crowd to their feet when he was all alone and missed on a shot in stoppage time, just outside the goal box as the ball sailed over the crossbar.

“It was a good first touch, but the bad touch was the hit and it just didn’t go in,” Lopez said.

Junior defender Kolby McInally also took a hard shot that missed, after halfback Robert Coronado knocked a free kick toward the goal that bounced right to McInally.

Forward Luis Felipe scored both goals for Lynwood (11-10-2), while sophomore halfback Ray Flores scored for the Highlanders.

“Yeah, it’s a little disappointing,” longtime La Habra coach Stephen Aanderud said. “We’re young in many ways, including age-wise. We seem to get leads and lose them and we just sort of get down on ourselves, but next year we should be very good.”

Read more: High School Boys Soccer: La Habra edged out of playoffs

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Email