High School Girls Water Polo: La Serna looks to make more history in title match

By Eric Terrazas, Staff Writer
twitter.com/WhittierPreps

La Serna High School’s girls water polo team made history when it defeated top-seeded Bonita 10-9 in Wednesday’s CIF-Southern Section Division 4 semifinals.

The Lancers will look to make even more history as they take on Troy in today’s championship game, scheduled for 1:30 p.m. at William Woollett Jr. Aquatic Center in Irvine.

It’s the first championship game appearance for Del Rio League champion La Serna (21-10), which is seeded fourth.

“We’re really excited and pumped up,” La Serna coach Erin Brown said. “The girls are ready to fight for a championship title.”

Troy (24-8), which captured the Freeway League crown and is the No. 2 seed, is an opponent the Lancers know well. Today’s game will mark the third meeting of the season between the two schools.

The Warriors won the first match Dec. 4 at La Serna, 15-14, when Shannon Grossman scored the winning goal in triple-overtime. The Lancers, however, came back and defeated Troy 7-6 three days later at the Villa Park Tournament in El Toro High.

“We’re excited to play Troy,” Brown said. “We know it’s going to be a great game. We have a lot of confidence, but we are still going to come out like we’re playing them for the first time because anything can happen in CIF.

“We’re fired up and we’re ready to fight for a title.”

Key players for La Serna include Gabby Pierandozzi, Jenel Rivera, Isabella Villa and goalkeeper Jacqui Verdugo.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Email